Looking at bandsaws

Well like the title says, it's about that time for me to check into buying a bandsaw, and I was wondering if you guys could help me out. I will most likely go with a 14" one and I was looking at the Delta model 28-276. I am hoping to cut some decent sized logs on it and I don't think the 6 1/4" clearance is going to cut it so I noticed they had a height attachment for an extra $130 which will allow me to cut 12 1/4". Has anyone had experience with this setup? I know I'm trying to squeeze all I can out of a less expensive setup and the motor is only 3/4 hp, but I would like to be able to cut some thicker stuff without loosing any stability in the machine. Does anyone know if that attachment causes the machine or blade to kind of jump around or vibrate? Or am I completely looking in the wrong direction and need to focus on a few other machines? Any advice or comments, feel free! Thanks in advance :thumb:

I'd just like to point out that after I posted this, I checked what people had to say about this saw on amazon. The reviews did not seem too good! But I would still like to see what you guys might recommend :D

I think that the biggest problem you will encounter is that motor is not robust enough.

If I were you, I'd look at an older saw, even if it is a 14" model, the older saws are often a bit more stout, and with the money you save, you can put the riser kit in and get a bigger motor.

Cheers!

I came across a Powermatic 44. It has a 1hp motor, 14" throat and 9" depth of cut. It cut wet box elder with no problem. Only downside is no one sells the 102" blade but I make my own. After a few run ins with Delta service I would not recommend a Delta anything. I have heard good things about the Harbor Freight (with some tweaking) and really good things about the Grizzly. Laguna is good if you have deep pockets and don't mind changing the drive belt right away.

The Delta, Jet and Grizzly 14" saws are all excellent in that size range. The Jet and Griz do have risers available, giving up to one foot cutting ability. The Delta may also, I just dunno. I have the Grizz G0555 and have never put on the riser block because my gut instinct tells me that might be asking the machine to do more than it was designed for. However, there are many of the riser blocks in use and I have seen reports by happy owners. The Griz model bandsaw has a two-speed feature to add power for big cuts. You said "some" big logs. I'll opine, the number of "big" logs you want to cut should determine your choice of machine. A few would probably not hurt the bandsaw. High volume, you are sure to wear it out. One day, I'm hoping to come across a bargain used large machine that would be dedicated to cutting up the big stuff. Your budget and choice. Let us know what you decide.

Wes,
Take a look at the Grizzly G0555. For about $500 delivered, it's hard to beat.

For a larger (17") saw, with 12" resaw capability, the Grizzle G0513 is a nice saw, too. A friend has one, and I've tried it out. Nearly as nice as my Laguna - at less than half the price!

What Ned means is that while he hasn't used his HF BS yet, he has used mine. His has the riser block, mine does not. When I bought my HF BS, I decided to use it strictly without the riser and if I ended up needing the extra capacity to invest in a bigger saw as a 2nd BS. Of course, at this point a bigger shop would be necessary to house the bigger saw...

I have the Delta mini lathe which only has 10" swing. Anything that will fit on my lathe but not my bandsaw can be handled with the reciprocating saw and the 12" blade.

You might be able to also find some nice deals on older three phase bandsaws. A big behemoth saw like this and the converter together sometimes add up to buying a major brand 14" saw new. Something to think about. You know you want a 36" bandsaw - admit it! :rofl:

Check out the Rincon 14 inch. From what Ive researched, it's about the best bang for the buck for a 14". I have a Grizzly, but if I were doing it over again, I'd but the Rincon. Steel frame, 12" resaw capacity, 1.5hp motor, etc

Check out the Rincon 14 inch. From what Ive researched, it's about the best bang for the buck for a 14". I have a Grizzly, but if I were doing it over again, I'd but the Rincon. Steel frame, 12" resaw capacity, 1.5hp motor, etc

I'll second that. My HF came as a one-time, get it now deal, along with a Delta Midi lathe, but the saw that I was waiting to get was the Rincon, as it was the HF deal was too good to pass up, so I went for it.

What Ned means is that while he hasn't used his HF BS yet, he has used mine. His has the riser block, mine does not. When I bought my HF BS, I decided to use it strictly without the riser and if I ended up needing the extra capacity to invest in a bigger saw as a 2nd BS. Of course, at this point a bigger shop would be necessary to house the bigger saw...

I have the Delta mini lathe which only has 10" swing. Anything that will fit on my lathe but not my bandsaw can be handled with the reciprocating saw and the 12" blade.

You might be able to also find some nice deals on older three phase bandsaws. A big behemoth saw like this and the converter together sometimes add up to buying a major brand 14" saw new. Something to think about. You know you want a 36" bandsaw - admit it! :rofl:

Yep, forgot to mention that it was Mark's saw I've used. NIce saw, good fit and finish. Aww c'mon Mark you might not be able to fit a tablesaw in there, but you could squeeze another bandsaw in. Just move the metal shelves to the wood storage room and you're golden!

Last edited:
Personally, I'd get something other than the Delta. There are better saws for less money IMHO.

I've got the 1 1/2 hp Shop Fox equivalent of the Grizzly GO555, with the riser block. Unlike Frank, I have no qualms about extending the cutting capacity. Thousands of other folks have used riser blocks without problems for decades, so I don't see why my situation would be an exception. If I was cutting 11" logs all day every day, then it might be a concern, but cutting up the stuff I do, and at the frequency I do it, I expect the Shop Fox to last longer than I do.

Wes I own a HF 14", Delta 14", and Grizzly 17"G0513 (like Jim said). if you can afford it go right for the 17", mine I picked up used off Craig's List for $200.00 only had about 10 hours of use. Came with 12 wolf blades, the only thing wrong was he had misplaced the tension handle $22.00 delivered from Grizzly. It is night and day between a 3/4 hp and 2hp saw. I've cut 16" logs in seconds with the Grizzly. I run a 1" wolf blade on it, do only straight cuts. I have the other saws one runs a 1/2" blade,and the HF I keep a 1/8" blade mostly for bandsaw boxes. Good Luck...take your time and get what will work for you. You don't want to buy something you won't be happy with, its better to wait, save up and buy once.

Thanks Vaughn I bought his whole shop for $1700; Shopfox 5hp cabinet saw, with 3 WWII blades, Bies fence and overhead guard, and the roll off table, shopfox mobile kit, and a fraud dail a datto blade. !7" Grizzly with all the upgrades, resaw fence, new guides, DeWalt 12" miter saw, 3hp grizzly Dust Control, with shopfox remotes, 10 pipe clamps, a pick up load of walnut 4/4 and 4/8, plus other wood, a new in the box vac. pump and bag, about $750 pre cut veneers, My whole back seat was full of hoses and connectors, all 12 wolf bandsaw blades. It was like brand new, the dust collector only had a 1" of dust in it. The wife told me her husband loved to set things up, but never like to use them. I could really believe her when I saw the equipment.
PS Vaughn if I'm going to get the "You Suck" I want you to have the whole story so I can get the"You Really Suck a Lot!" Ha!Ha!...Bruce
PS I don't think I will ever bet that deal.

man i hope not

we cant ay what you deserve for that deal and we surly couldnt for doing any better than you did..thats the best deal i have ever heard of.. it even beats the drill press that marty got for around 200$,,

wes, i have a old 12 inch atlas BS and also a 18 rikon.. the new 14 inch rikon's are pretty impressive.. if your lookin to do a fair amount of log cuttin then you should opt for more hp. but if you lookin to make lumber outa logs you gathered up, your barking up the wrong tree! have some one with a bandsaw mill cut them for you...these shop BS's are not lumber saws they are for veneer work and light to med resawing or bowl blank cuttin.

The Delta, Jet and Grizzly 14" saws are all excellent in that size range. The Jet and Griz do have risers available, giving up to one foot cutting ability. The Delta may also, I just dunno. I have the Grizz G0555 and have never put on the riser block because my gut instinct tells me that might be asking the machine to do more than it was designed for. However, there are many of the riser blocks in use and I have seen reports by happy owners. The Griz model bandsaw has a two-speed feature to add power for big cuts. You said "some" big logs. I'll opine, the number of "big" logs you want to cut should determine your choice of machine. A few would probably not hurt the bandsaw. High volume, you are sure to wear it out. One day, I'm hoping to come across a bargain used large machine that would be dedicated to cutting up the big stuff. Your budget and choice. Let us know what you decide.

It'll work just fine Frank I have a friend that has one with a riser block noooo problem.

I have the earlier model G1019 with the riser block however I did cheat a little & installed a 220 volt 1 1/2 HP motor I had around the shop.

I don't have a problem cutting anything I want on this saw with in reason.

I will say if you want to cut 12" thick material keep your short guard that came on the saw some saws like this need the short guard because the long guard will run into the inside of the upper case when raised high enough to cut somewhere around 12".

Heck Frank just for you I'll even post a picture of my little 12" Band-saw.:rofl::D:):thumb::wave::eek::dunno: On a roll again..... Oh did I say hi Frank well HI. I just want you to know we're all glad your here.:D

Attachments

• Band-saws 002.jpg
    Band-saws 002.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 20
  • Band-saws.jpg
    Band-saws.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 20
  • A1 myshop 047.jpg
    A1 myshop 047.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
if your lookin to do a fair amount of log cuttin then you should opt for more hp. but if you lookin to make lumber outa logs you gathered up, your barking up the wrong tree! have some one with a bandsaw mill cut them for you...these shop BS's are not lumber saws they are for veneer work and light to med resawing or bowl blank cuttin.

Yep any log cutting that I'm speaking of would just be simply for bowl blanks. I want the saw for other projects but I suppose the only reason I'm looking for the larger cutting height is because of those darn logs. But no I would not be hammering the machine with large logs for hours everyday.

That Grizzly G0555 is sure sounding tempting the more and more I look at it. The HF is tempting because of the price, but I'm just not sure about that place when it comes to power tools/saws. Not sure that I want to have to do any "tweaking" of any sorts to make it a decent machine. Does any place carry Grizzly machinery? Or would I have to order it online and have it shipped? The Rikon seems to be a nice machine also, just a bit out of my comfort level for price.

By the way I got to check out the Rikon today because I went to my first Woodcraft turning meeting tonight! Whoo hoo :) It doesn't start up again until September. I was told this time was free, being the first, and if I want to join I need to join the AAW and Milwaukee turning club, totalling about $60 a year. I might just have to go ahead and do that over the summer!

Thank you very much for all of your replies, they have been much appreciated.