Looking at bandsaws

Geez, for $350, and only ten minutes away, OK Westley, you have earned it.............

...........YOU SUCK.........

I think the coating you are talking about is called >> Cosmoline << I think most solvents will remove it.

Did you get any extras like blades?

Congrats, must be a great feeling:thumb:

Stu beat me to it...I think you've got Cosmoline or something similar on it, and you will be wanting to remove it. Mineral spirits will do it and pretty much any other solvent will, too (WD-40 included). I'll bet it shines like new underneath the Cosmoline.

Oh, and yes indeedy, you suck. :thumb: As someone else mentioned, with proper care that saw will likely last as long as you do. Great score!

Alrighty I guess that's the stuff then, I'll try removing it when I get a chance. Haha yep I guess I deserve it :) I got pretty lucky. I'll post a new pic if it's all shiny underneath! Nope no extras. The blade that's on there (I'm guessing factory) doesn't seem to have too much bite to it. I'll order a better one when I order the 6" riser block.

Westley, I'd recommend getting your blades from Suffolk Machinery. They can advise you on which blade(s) to buy, and their prices are reasonable. I made the mistake of buying a blade from the tool store when I bought my bandsaw, and it was twice the price and half as good as the blades I later bought from Suffolk. For resawing, I'll also recommend the Woodslicer from Highland Hardware. It's a bit pricey and doesn't cut real fast, but it leaves a nice cut on a properly-tuned saw. Better than the Timberwolf resaw blade Suffolk sold me, IMHO.

...One thing that is kind of weird about it is he put this paint-like layer of black stuff on the table... It's not just paint, it almost has a rubbery feel to it....

It sound like he used a rubberized product like "Dip-It." It's intended to provide a no-slip grip for tool handles, etc. and I've seen it used on stair treads, too, but never on a tool table.

Does it let the wood slide easily over the table, or is there some 'drag'?

You may need to remove it. If you can get a corner of it loose, it might just slowly peel off. Otherwise, scraping with a sharpened putty knife may be necessary. Acetone, toluene, or MEK might dissolve it, but be sure to remove the table from the saw, and take it outside before you try that.

In any event, you got a great buy, on a great saw. Enjoy!

Thanks for the blade recommendations Vaughn. Jim I know what stuff you are talking about and it's not that. This stuff doesn't create any drag on the piece. Sorry if my "rubbery" explanation caused any confusion :) Thanks again everyone.

Westley,
Sounds like it won't affect how the saw operates, so I'd give it a try as is, who knows, other than having a dark top, it may just work fine.

Great score, despite having a nice saw of my own, I find myself turning a bit Green with envy.

Great score, Westley! That saw should serve you well for years and years.

I don't know what that stuff on the table is but I'd remove it, sand the top real good with 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper and WD-40 and then keep it waxed with Johnstons paste wax.

I second what Vaughn said about Suffolk Machinery and Timberwolf blades. If you call Suffolk, tell them what band saw you have and what you want to do, they will recommend the type blade you need. They will also keep a file so that next time you call, they have all your info. Great folks at Suffolk.

Oh yeah...YOU SUCK!!!!!!!

Westley congrats on the bandsaw. I have the same saw and paid $425 shipped a year ago. It is a great saw. For green blanks I use a 1/2" 3 tpi blade. Suffolk Machinery will help you. If you get a riser block kit which will give you 12" high cutting instead of 6" you will need to order 105" blades.

Last edited: