Regular visitor to my office

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
I know you some of you, like Frank & Travis, might not think this is much to talk about considering your surroundings;), but remember my office is only 3 blocks from downtown Boise. This young mom and her fawn have been by every morning for a couple of weeks now. It's a nice addition to my normal day. I try and grab the cell phone camera whenever they visit. This is taken through my office window.:D
PIC-0016a.jpg

I know you some of you, like Frank & Travis, might not think this is much to talk about considering your surroundings;), but remember my office is only 3 blocks from downtown Boise. This young mom and her fawn have been by every morning for a couple of weeks now. It's a nice addition to my normal day. I try and grab the cell phone camera whenever they visit. This is taken through my office window.:D
View attachment 21114

Neat. Whitetail become very acclimated to human presence when they live near populated areas. Several towns in Arkansas have had to sanction 'in town' bow hunting season just to keep numbers under control. We haven't seen any fawns yet this year. May is the usual month for birthing but last year they didn't appear until late June and early July.

youre lucky, the view outside my work place looks like downtown Beirut.

hey allen i will make you adeal on anew house next door:) you gotta be better than her:) and rennie that little fella isnt to old noy much past 3 weeks i would say.. must be you havnt been mowin your lawn much either.. kinda tall in the back ground:):rofl:

Very cool, Rennie. There have been a couple time I've seen whitetail grazing on fallen olives under the trees in our parking lot at work. Our office is in Burbank adjacent to the I-5 freeway and busy arterial streets, but we're about a half mile from some undeveloped mountain areas. (The deer still have to go through that half mile of residential streets to get to our office, though.) I've also seen coyotes strolling around the streets in the area during the day.

hey allen i will make you adeal on anew house next door:) you gotta be better than her:)

Geee, I thought you guys would hit it off well. After all she keeps your yard lit up at night.

Got a few of them here as well Rennie, I have at least 6 does in my field everyday.....I just know there are some little ones hidden in the fencelines somewhere.

Wife smacked a large one coming home from Larry's a few weekends ago, truck is in the body shop as I speak/type. The insurance adjuster and the owner of the body shop both told me this has been a banner year for deer/car accidents.

Sweet. I'd like to have a similar view in my workplace, but my window is facing the factory parking lot at ground level so enjoy it for me will you?

That's a beautiful view Rennie, I remember many times seeing similar when I lived in Michigan (most of my life), but here in Mexico my regular visits every day are lizards, spiders, coc-la-roahcahs, scorpions, ants and a few squirrels.
Hmmmm:rolleyes: No offence Gerald, but I'll stick with the does and fawns. :D

BTW - My avatar pic was taken in MI - we vacationed on Mackinac Island last year and loved it.

why didnt you let us know that you were in town and allow us being me and steve to entertain you for bit????

My thoughts exactly.
My humble apologies, but I'm afraid there was so little time. We boarded a plane in Boise around 6 AM, had lunch in Minneapolis, a snack in Detroit, caught a bus out of Pellston, and got off the ferry on Mackinac at around 8:30 PM. We stayed on the island an entire week and then did the whole thing in reverse. Not much opportunity for side trips, I'm afraid.

Please don't feel slighted.:eek:

...Please don't feel slighted.:eek:
Sheesh. You could have at least waved to them from the plane. Some friend you are. :rolleyes:

:rofl:

I have to profess my ignorance. I didn't realize Mackinac Island was in Michigan. For some reason I always thought it was in Maine.

Aside from having no motorized vehicles, I'm guessing the island is also known for fudge and candy? I see the Mackinac Island Fudge stand at the LA County Fair every year.

Sheesh. You could have at least waved to them from the plane. Some friend you are. :rolleyes:

:rofl:

I have to profess my ignorance. I didn't realize Mackinac Island was in Michigan. For some reason I always thought it was in Maine.

Aside from having no motorized vehicles, I'm guessing the island is also known for fudge and candy? I see the Mackinac Island Fudge stand at the LA County Fair every year.
You guess correctly. Good stuff too!:D I bought some via the internet for my wife for Mother's Day.

From Mackinac Island you can see the "The Mighty Mac"...the Mackinac Bridge, connecting Michigans upper Peninsula to the Lower...or vice versa, depending if you are a Yooper or a troll. I guess I am both having lived in Michigans Upper Peninsula (Yooper) for 22 years. The Mighty Mac, however does not connect to Maine :rolleyes:

A tourist to the Island is a "Fudgie" being that they always buy the famed fudge. I don't mind the Peanut butter fudge, but as far as the rest of it goes...I'll leave it to others.

The governor of Michigan has a mansion on the Island that they use as their "vacation home" since our current governor is a Canuck, (how that happened is beyond me) she probably feels close to home. The Grand Hotel has the largest wooden porch of any hotel (at least it did?) it seems to stretch forever, I walked it once.

It is also expensive to visit, stay and buy things on the island, but it has a lot of interesting spots and a lot of history including a Fort.:thumb:

A tourist to the Island is a "Fudgie" being that they always buy the famed fudge.
Guilty, as charged.:D

I don't mind the Peanut butter fudge, but as far as the rest of it goes...I'll leave it to others.
I like fudge in general, but you're right - the peanut butter is something special. It was part of the gift box I recently purchased for the LOML

The governor of Michigan has a mansion on the Island that they use as their "vacation home" since our current governor is a Canuck, (how that happened is beyond me) she probably feels close to home.
It's open for tours at specific times of the year. Unfortunately, we missed that small window of time when we visited. Nice house though.

The Grand Hotel has the largest wooden porch of any hotel (at least it did?) it seems to stretch forever, I walked it once.
Three stories high and 660 feet long. And what a view!:thumb: If you're a film buff, it was also the location for the filming of "Somewhere in Time" starring Christopher Reeves and Jane Seymour. (sp?)

It is also expensive to visit, stay and buy things on the island,
It is, a bit, but it is such a pleasure to not deal with cars, traffic, highways, noise, and (cough) fumes that the cost dosen't hurt so much. Our stay was about $160 per night in one of the better B&B's. Eating on the island is expensive if you stick close to town - a burger can cost you $8!:eek: However, there is a small food stand on the backside of the island that serves a great burger and fries (and lots of other stuff) where two can eat for around $10. AND, they have deep fried pickles!:D

but it has a lot of interesting spots and a lot of history including a Fort.:thumb:
The fort is a fun place to visit, but, if you've been to a 'fort' before you won't see anything new or very unusual.:)
Steve & Larry - I promise that if I ever get to MI again I will, at the very least, wave from the noisy old Saab prop job as I fly over.:thumb:

Last edited:
Deep fried pickles!! Yummmy! There's a hole in the wall bar here in DSM that serves them. Tastes great with there bacon wrapped tator tots.:thumb: