They are back...........

Stuart Ablett

Yep.......... more "Toothpick Holders" :D

june_2008_2.jpg june_2008_1.jpg

I'm having our turning club to the Dungeon for a workshop on the 29th of June, I've been asked to demo something, so this is what I've decided to demo, need to get some practice in on these and work out my method for making them, heck, I might even make up a step by step in Japanese.... well, Emiko would..... :D

May I suggest that you make the 'cup' about 1/4"-1/2 longer/deeper. Found that the toothpicks like to 'jump' and get caught between the outside of the cup and inside wall. Making the cup deeper stops the toothpicks from being able to be stuck. By doing this, it does not effect the function of the holder.

Toni I WISH It was Ebony, too rich for my blood, it is just Maple that has been "Ebonized" which, as far as I can tell means you just color it black :dunno:

I put a coat of sanding sealer on, sand it to #400, then I use the Japanese "Fudepen" (say Foo-day-pen) the ink in the Fudepen is ground up charcoal and water, so it is black as night. I let that dry, and I might put another coat and wipe it off, then I put another coat of sanding sealer on it, then Carnauba wax, and then buff it out, looks pretty good, I think.

Anyway, today, I cut up some Maple, unfortunately, I'm out of the really thick stuff, but this stuff is still fairly thick.
stock_cut_for_tp_holders.JPG

Should be enough there for 15 or so Toothpick Holders :D

Here is the one I made this morning.....

june_5_2008_1.JPG june_5_2008_2.JPG

Got a few more to go.

Bernie, after doing 30 plus, do you have any tips or hints to pass along?

Cheers!

Hi Stu.

Thanks for the explanation.
May I ask you put next to them a scale indicator such as, box of matches, cigarretes pack, coca bottle or something that can help me figure out what size are they. I know that they are thoothpick holders but on the pics they look fairly large to me. :)

Another one..........

straightside_holder01.jpg straightside_holder02.jpg
This one has straight sides.

straightside_holder03.jpg
I do jam chuck the body, so I can finish turn the bottom, and add some detail.

The next few, I'll be doing some things a bit different. :D

Cheers!