Today I'm very sad and overwhelmed

A master woodcarver I know since I was 3 year old kid, who was my grand dad's neigbourgh has started to give me all his tools.

He is 79, his wife is in very frail condition and he is not carving anymore due to his bad eyesight do his age. They have no sons and he is taking care of her and doing all the household work. I go to visit them two or three times a month and we chat togheter and spend some good time.

He showed me how to sharpen gouges, and although he didn't teach me literally, throughout the years, the hours that he let me stay next to him just looking and asking questions made me learn all I know about woodcarving that is not even a tenth of what he knows. He's made more than 4000 pieces in his life and he used to knock down a figure in two or three days. ( He had to earn his living he says)

He told me today that he wanted me to have all his tools and he has started giving me some of them.
I never asked him for anything and even less that, but he insisted and even got a bit angry when I politely refused and finally after listening to him I accepted. One of the things he told me is that he is sure that I will use them and by using them I'll remember him.
He's been fine tuning and sharpening them, replaced broken handles and leaving them in tip top condition

Honestly I think that I do not deserve them, and I hope not to deceive him.
I'm really overwhelmed and sad because of this, when he told me this I almost burst into tears.

I'm not going to tell how many tools and what are they, and I'm not going to post any pics of them because I find that if I did, it would be disrespectful.

I'm sorry for such a long post but I wanted to share this with you, because I think that only woodworkers can understand fully how I'm feeling.

Thanks for reading and your patience

It is obvious that you hold this man in very high regard - and he, you. He feels comfortable leaving his tools to you knowing they will be used and respected. What an honor!

Honestly I think that I do not deserve them, and I hope not to deceive him.

Toni, he thought you DID deserve them...using them and continuing to "fine tuning and sharpening them, replaced broken handles and leaving them in tip top condition" and then passing them onto another deserving woodworker will prove him right. Congrats, an honor indeed! :thumb:

Toni, I hope that you see it is very important to him that his tools are handed down to someone who he knows will use them. He has shown his admiration for you by asking you to take the tools. You should show your admiration and respect for him by taking them with open arms and an open heart.

It is sad to see an old master begin to fade, but by passing his tools to you, his legacy can continue. I believe he sees this, and wants it to be this way. I can understand your sadness, but just realize that this is most likely making him happy, and giving him comfort and peace of mind.

Toni,

What an honor and what high regard this man must have for you. Take them with pride and assure him you'll do your best to see that they are used to the best of your ability. Tell him how proud you are of his obvious affection for you. A craftsman's tools........wow! A great honor.

It is sad to see an old master begin to fade, but by passing his tools to you, his legacy can continue. I believe he sees this, and wants it to be this way. I can understand your sadness, but just realize that this is most likely making him happy, and giving him comfort and peace of mind.

Well,... yes, I understand what you mean, and I understand that by accepting the tools I'm making him happy.
One of the things he fears most is having his tools sold at a flea market upon his death and that's one of the reasons why he is giving them to me.

Maybe your next plane should have some carving - especially if you can show it to him as proof that they'll be respected and used well, even if you don't think they'll be used as well as by his hand.

Toni, I have a similar story and some shop tools that I will never part with. They came to me in a somewhat similar way. Like you I don't talk much about it and I don't go bragging about what I came into.

But I can tell you that you have been paid a huge compliment and that you will honor this gentleman by accepting and using these!

In agreement with all above, I must add that in my opinion the greatest respect that you could show to your friend would be to accept his gift and assure him that his tools will be loved, cared for, and will continue to produce the woodcraft products that he loves. That way (as he says), he will be remembered.
I have a couple of items received in similar circumstances. They are special to me and when I use them I feel good, remembering.

cheers

it was all said, he knows you dont need his chisels and hammers to remember him, he wants you use them and use them alot.he doesnt want them admired, as a keepsake, he wants them in the hands of someone that knows how to use them.
this is an old school craftsman, raised on beliefs that if a man can use his hands as tools, become good at his craft, he will always be employed and always have food on his table.
Ya gotta love a guy that understands the true value of what he has, and understands that that value would only be appreciated by someone he feels is at heart a true craftsman also.
this guy's got class.
actually I dont believe hes giving you these tools out of love, I think if you were totally inept with hand tools hed still love you unconditionally. Hes giving you his tools cause he respects your work as a craftsman like himself, and knows few would appreciate the value, the gesture as fully as you would understand.
I also believe youre 100% correct, his tools ending up in a flea market would be a rotten thing for him.

(hed be more likely to give you a watch of his, even if its some worthless old thing, to remember him by)I know he told you take the tools to remember me.....I believe he wanted you take them, and not say, no, no, I cant, maybe youll still want to make something, and so on....you must be talented, at least he sees it or the potential.(ok, I said my entire opinion, please take no offense to me posting what I truly felt)

Last edited:
Yes, I think everyone is in agreement here Toni, you are making the old master happy, as he knows you will cherish the tools and use them.

If it makes you feel any better, look at it this way, you are just taking care of the tools, until you find some talented young guy or gal that you can pass them on to from your old master.

I very much like the idea of carving on one of your planes, that would be really neat.

¡Salud!

Sorry i am late!!!

toni sorry to be late in responding ,,,work had kept me from gettin here to read. but like the others have said you have gotten these for one reason,, and it what you ahve said and done since this man knew you that you received them.. we all are sometimes proud or dont take what is givena ndf can hurt the giver. he gave you a very well deserved gift and and by you accepting them you have made him happy.. i and others have thigs that we wouldlike certain folks to end up with becasue of the person they are..and we have a revernce for those things..you will take care f those tools as well as he has and will make them continue to deliver wonderful work for others to see,, and every time that chip and shavin hits the floor the old carver will be smiling right back at you toni!!!!!

I can only echo what the others have said. He respects you as much as you respect him. The important thing is that he wants you to have the tools because he knows they will be used by someone who respects them. Congratulations on having such a fine friend and mentor.

what an honor toni!
tell him thanks and promise to do the best work you`re able......i`m certain he would want nothing more.

toni, you were correct...your email does move me. it also reminds me of some of the lessons of life i've learned over seventy years...that apply here. friendship can only survive if there is something of value for each party. so you have provided something of value over the years to your friend...even if you aren't aware of it.

and, secondly, we have to make it possible for people to be nice to us. you've also done that.

so accept the gifts in the spirit they're offerred and honor the donor by using them.

To him, those tools represent his life's work and are his babies. He's probably been worrying about what's going to happen to them after he's gone for quite a while. He has obviously chosen you to take care of his babies after he's gone because he trusts you to do the right thing with them. Even if that's not taking up carving yourself to the degree he has and having a need for them, I think he knows you'd pass them along to the right person and not someone who is going to use them to pry nails or scrape paint with.

Tony,

What an incredible honor he has bestowed on you. You have obviously earned it.

Respect and Honor are being lost in our society today.

You have exhibited both in your sharing of this life event.

Your work certainly reflects the "training" you have. You will honor your grandfather just by using his tools as the craftsman you are.

Respectfully... Bartee..

Proud to be a member of this family...

Toni,
There is little I can say that hasn't already been said. You have been paid a great honor. Congratulations! Find a way to pass on his skills and start a tradition with his tools of passing them on to a deserving person--I would explain it that way to the next owner.