Anyone in the North Texas area want to buy a Mesquite tree?

Jim O'Dell

I have a co-worker that has a Mesquite tree in her yard that she would like to get out of there. She says the base up to about 4' tall is about 18" diameter. Is there anyone around North Texas that would consider paying for it to harvest? I'd hate for something like that to get chopped up for fire wood. If not an individual, anyone know of a sawyer that would buy something like that? I know that there are possible problems with metal in the tree. Thanks for any help you can offer. Jim.

I have a co-worker that has a Mesquite tree in her yard that she would like to get out of there. She says the base up to about 4' tall is about 18" diameter. Is there anyone around North Texas that would consider paying for it to harvest? I'd hate for something like that to get chopped up for fire wood. If not an individual, anyone know of a sawyer that would buy something like that? I know that there are possible problems with metal in the tree. Thanks for any help you can offer. Jim.

I'd like to buy it all, but sending it to Spain would be rather difficult, but I wouldn't mind getting a piece big enough to make a plane at least.
I don't know if we could buy it some of us together and share it?

Toni said in pertinent part, ". . . but I wouldn't mind getting a piece big enough to make a plane at least."

Toni,
I've got some 2" thick mesquite scraps in the shop. About what size would you need? If you will pay for shipping, I will gladly send you some for a plane.

If I was within a day's drive, I'd take it off her hands and give her something for it for sure. Location location location, one mans trash is another's treasure when it comes to tree species. Had a friend send me a small piece of mesquite, made a small nutcracker out of it, and it was BEAUTIFUL grained wood. Hard but easy to work. Wish we could get some up here in PA without paying an arm and a leg to a retail specialty lumber yard.

Toni, I may have some scraps that size around as well, have to check. If not I can pick some up next time I'm in Tucson, friend of mine there uses about 75% mesquite and his shop is usually very busy, making lots of scraps. So between me and Jerry, we ought to be able to make you pretty tired of the stuff! :D:D

John, Jerry thank you very much for your offer. Yes, I'm ready to pay for the shipping.
As far size is concerned, obviously the bigger/thicker/longer the better but 2" should be enough, for a small plane, grain won't match but that's not crucial.

Is there any way that you can get an estimation of the shipping costs? I could reimburse them to you through PayPal. I guess that surface mail would be the cheapest, due to weight and size.
Any of you can send me a PM at your earliest convenience.

Many thanks again!

I'd be surprised if you could get a sawyer out there for one tree, and doubly surprised if they'd pay her for it. That seems like a big mesquite to folks that aren't familiar with it... but it's not 'special'.

KC

Kirk, would a tree this size be better utilized for turning blanks? I don't understand what size boards come out what size trees, so you're right, it seems like a big Mesquite to me, but may not be worth while to cut into boards. If it would be good for turning blanks, I might see what I can salvage out of it if they decide to just cut it down to get it out of the way. That is, if there is any interest in that sort of thing. Thanks for the info guys!! Jim.

Someone might get some worthwhile lumber out of it, and certainly some turning blanks... my comment was just that it probably wouldn't be of any interest to a sawyer.

I'd bet there definitely would be interest in mesquite turning blanks. There would even be potential for some pretty decent money if they were cut and sealed, then sold on eBay. Search eBay for "turning blank" and "bowl blank" and you can see what's being sold. There would be some labor involved, but getting $10 to $50 per piece (plus shipping) could add up to a fair amount of pocket change.

Kirk, thanks for the clarification. Actually I should have seen that, in that your answer was directly to my question. :doh:
Vaughn, that is some good information. But with the cost of shipping, a big chunk of wood would cost a fortune for an individual to ship. I sent a package under 5 lbs with the Clear Vue blast gates that came with my cyclone that I never used. (6 plastic gates, pkg 4.7 lbs) and shipping was over 17.00! I can only imagine what a 40 lb chunk of wood would run! But still, people might do it. How small would be too small for you spinny folk? (diameter wise) Maybe cut a bunch of the smaller limbs into pen blanks after it is dried? And would turners want the big stuff wet with the ends sealed (Anchor Seal?) or dried?
So many questions...Thanks for everyones help! Jim.