Auger Bit Question

Doug Shepard

In Memorium
BCTW has some auger bits on clearance sale. Are these a good deal?
http://www.bridgecitytools.com/Categories/Clearance
They look a bit different between the flutes to all the ones I've seen but can be used in a regular chuck rather than a brace. The price looks pretty good when I compare to the ones Highland Hardware has, but that's only if this style is as good or better than HH's type. I've got a set of spade bits but those seem to wander from straight a bit. Would these be an improvement over spades as far as drilling straighter? Thought I might pick up a few of the bigger sizes if these seem like a good deal.

Auger bits are, IMHO, Neander type tools. I have used mine extensively and they are great for certain types of work. But I always used with a hand brace, never a power drill and would personally hesitate to do so. What are you drilling where "wandering" is a problem? If you are doing something like ramrod holes on a traditional old style gun, or flutes, you should look into spoon bits as they do a better job of holding a line.

What are you drilling where "wandering" is a problem? ...

Well at the moment, nothing but spotted the sale and wondered if this was a good opportunity to get a few. I was thinking of these a bit more for construction type projects (2x4's, 4x4's, etc) and the occasional hogging out of big mortises where the spades dont do quite so well for going straight. There's always Forstners for a lot of things but these are quite a bit less than those plus have the extra length that Forstners sometimes cant quite reach.

I use the augers I inherited occasionally in a brace I also inherited. I would worry about being able to get slow enough with enough torque in a power drill... the max speed of 500-700 rpm seems like a wildly fast speed for that type bit... and I don't know many drill presses that go 50-100 rpm. Remember the tip is a screw that pulls the bit in, so you can't just let it spin... you need to drill in at the rate the tip pulls it in.

I use the augers I inherited occasionally in a brace I also inherited. I would worry about being able to get slow enough with enough torque in a power drill... the max speed of 500-700 rpm seems like a wildly fast speed for that type bit... and I don't know many drill presses that go 50-100 rpm. Remember the tip is a screw that pulls the bit in, so you can't just let it spin... you need to drill in at the rate the tip pulls it in.

If you use a power drill, it can get exciting when the bit sticks and the drill starts turning. Only takes about a 1/4 turn of the drill to sprain a wrist.

These appear to be the ones electricians use to run wire chases through studs and joists. Not the old square shank Bit Brace Augers we WWers have been accustomed to using. Either case, That is not a bad price if it is of good steel. but for a Bit Brace look to Irvins as they are most common supplier aside from expensive WWing outfitters. :thumb: