Something Wild Happened

Jon Lanier

I was roughing out one of the spalted pieces. I was just about finished with the outside of the bowl and ready to turn it around when the phone rang.

As I was talking, I was looking at the bowl to see if it was where I wanted it to be... when... I saw dust starting coming out of a little hole about an 1/8th inch in the tenon I had turned.

Turns out a little creature had survived to this point and didn't care for the remodeling I was doing to his home. I don't know for sure what it was, spider or some beetle. But I saw tiny legs kicking more dust out of the hole.

I quickly grabed some CA (it was at hand) squirted some in followed by a shot of accelerator. I finished roughing the bowl and then threw it in the DNA bucket.

I figure if he survived the turning, he sure didn't survive his bath.
277374637.jpg

Sounds like you locked him in carbonite, a la Han Solo. ;)

I was finish sanding a piece of curly maple a while back and while using a dental pick to clean the bug poop out of a hole, I pulled out some kind of larva, still squirming (and dizzy, I'd suspect).

Jon, funny story! :DIf you give the bowl away or sell it, please make sure the new owner knows the story. Talk about a conversation piece! :thumb:

Lol nice work. I did a similar thing when I was sealing the ends of some logs with green sealer. There was a hole with a wasp climbing out of it, but not after I filled the hole by pouring end sealer down it :) Even if your creature can swim, I'm sure that potent smell will get to him!