this is why woodworking for profit for me isnt going to work

allen levine

I had to work 8 of 9 days last week and a half, and my days are around 10 hours each, with close to 1.5-2 hours driving time.
I went out to the garage to put a few coats of poly of a couple of things laying around, but at 8:30 pm, Im too tired.

Ive had requests for some chairs. I explained that its a hobby, but people were persistent. Its not like there are no outdoor furniture places here.
But at 85-100 bucks a chair, they know the value.

One person insisted on handing me 200 dollars 2 weeks ago for 2 chairs.
I told her and her husband, no reason to pay me in advance, give me a couple of weeks, I ll get on them.

I got stuck at work, and since sunday, its been unbearable to work outside, and I dont think Ill be out there today either.

They called me this morning and left a vm on my phone.

Hi, how are you! Was wondering if we could come pick up our chairs today?
Talk to ya soon, hope youre enjoying this great weather!

I havent even cut the wood, I have someone else Im trying to work with since he is interested in some better quality wood, and Im all for working with cherry or the A. Mahogany I bought.

Now I have to explain to this couple that this is more of a hobby, like I told them, and I havent even had a chance with this heat and work to even think about their chairs..

I doubt they will be happy.(they wont ask me for their money back, but Ill get the calls every 2 days)

Last edited:
I had to work 8 of 9 days last week and a half, and my days are around 10 hours each, with close to 1.5-2 hours driving time.
I went out to the garage to put a few coats of poly of a couple of things laying around, but at 8:30 pm, Im too tired.

Ive had requests for some chairs. I explained that its a hobby, but people were persistent. Its not like there are no outdoor furniture places here.
But at 85-100 bucks a chair, they know the value.

One person insisted on handing me 200 dollars 2 weeks ago for 2 chairs.
I told her and her husband, no reason to pay me in advance, give me a couple of weeks, I ll get on them.

I got stuck at work, and since sunday, its been unbearable to work outside, and I dont think Ill be out there today either.

They called me this morning and left a vm on my phone.

Hi, how are you! Was wondering if we could come pick up our chairs today?
Talk to ya soon, hope youre enjoying this great weather!

I havent even cut the wood, I have someone else Im trying to work with since he is interested in some better quality wood, and Im all for working with cherry or the A. Mahogany I bought.

Now I have to explain to this couple that this is more of a hobby, like I told them, and I havent even had a chance with this heat and work to even think about their chairs..

I doubt they will be happy.(they wont ask me for their money back, but Ill get the calls every 2 days)

I bolded a major part of the problem. Sedentary folks seem to require 10 - 20 degrees higher temperatures. Active folks, on the other hand, know that high heat is almost worse than too cold for doing stuff.

Good luck fending them off!

Well, that just sucks, I'd seriously give them the money back, and tell them that you are just so busy, and don't feel right about the money thing.

I'd also not take on any commissions, when you get a set built, phone the people you like and offer them for sale, I'd also make people understand that bothering you about it, will move them to the end of the list.

I'd also raise your prices :D

High prices do tend to thin out requests. I had all kinds of people ask for a golf club table until I mentioned the $900 price tag. It was such a pain to make that I didn't care if I did another one. Woodworking and welding all thrown in to one project. It isn't hot here, but the humidity is terrible. You shouldn't sweat at 65 degrees sitting in the shade.

the lumber cost me approx 21 dollars.
I had a contractor give me a lowes 50 off 250 purchase so I bought my self a Freud 8in dado set, something I really wanted, a few things for the house, I had to replace some switches and outlets, and I added enough wood to equal the amount for the discount.
I usually buy wood when I get at least 10% off or up to 25% off.
PT lumber I get from Lowes or HD is fine.(its 2.97 for a 1x4 PT, cant beat that)
I timed myself, the last 2 chairs I made and assembled took me 4.5 hours total time working. 6 hours with taking a couple of breaks.
Id never get rich, but I feel 75 dollars labor for each one is fair.
It pays for the new stuff I keep buying.
I went out there today, Im afraid of dehydration, Ive been feeling rotten the past 2 days, and I know its the heat, so I decided again, to come inside out of the humidity.

Last edited:
Allen, you mean you're only charging $100 for an outdoor chair?

I'm tempted to tell you you're way undercharging, but since I haven't seen the product, I can't really say that.

So for a more positive suggestion, perhaps you could build them and sell what you've already built. Hurts a bit at first, but man does it keep your life simple! :D

these arent my plans. I have a book about routing, its one of the projects, but for sure its the most comfortable adirondack chair Ive ever sat in.
Nice contours, Ive posted pics of all kinds of wood Ive used,

yes, 1x4x8 pressure treated.(marked above surface only)
the 1x6x8 are 4.97, same price in HD or Lowes.
HD charges 3.29 for the 1x4x8.(I checked stores in New Jersey, and the prices were identical, even though taxes are different)

I prefer HD's pressure treated. Its a lighter shade, not that greenish dark stuff.
Ive had no problems with it in over 2 years since Ive started, and after a few months, I tell everyone to wash the chairs, stain them, and put anything else on it they want to protect it.
(someone I sold 3 redwood chairs too, redid them last week, its been one year, all I did was Thompsons deck treatment)
They said the chairs looked great but wanted to redo them anyway, so they purchased a product called Man O War Spar Varnish, (satin finish?), not gloss, and said the chairs looked great. I was happy, they were happy.
I offer to stain the chairs for the few Ive sold to people after a few months, but will charge 25 dollars each one. The dark walnut and mahogany stains look fantastic on HD Appearence grade pressure treated.

out here on LI, they compete, so every month I get at least one coupon saving 10-20% of a purchase, sometimes up to 50 bucks, sometimes 100, sometimes 150.
This brings the cost way down for me, so I try to buy only when I have a coupon.

Last edited:
Thanks,

For some reason, I don't think I've seen 1x4 PT at my local HD.

I'll have to take a look next time I'm in there.

The only thing I have worked on that I didn't enjoy was for money and on a deadline. I couldn't wait to get that thing outta my shop. I don't mind selling pieces and I don't mind making them for money but, you'll get them when you get them and not a moment before ;-)

Thanks,

For some reason, I don't think I've seen 1x4 PT at my local HD.

I'll have to take a look next time I'm in there.

heres the difference in the appearance of the wood.
The 1x4 under the small pieces is HD Appearance Grade.

I did the cross cutting and the ripping of their chairs, and cut up the mahogany.
Ill finish the jigsaw cutting tomorrow and let them pick them up thursday, just to get them out.

Attachments

• Tiki 267 (Small) (Medium).jpg
    Tiki 267 (Small) (Medium).jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 32
Yeah! I agree with has been said. If they want them fast, they can go and get them somewhere else.

One way of getting rid of these sort of people is charging them an outrageous price and tell them that the wood has to be let dry for about 5 months on your shop to prevent twisting. If they agree with that you are a winner!!:thumb:
If they do not agree you are saved!

the lumber cost me approx 21 dollars.
I timed myself, the last 2 chairs I made and assembled took me 4.5 hours total time working. 6 hours with taking a couple of breaks.
Id never get rich, but I feel 75 dollars labor for each one is fair.

Using the 4.5 hour time, this works out to $16.67 per hour. If it was this cheap to have car work done I wouldn't do it myself. Is this even above the poverty level in LI?

You also didn't mention finish reagent costs, hardware costs, gas costs to go get the lumber, tool wear and tear (depreciation) costs, tooling wear and tear (blade and bits) costs or dealing with irritating phone call costs.

I know you're not interested in doing woodworking for income, either professionally or as a hobby business, but maybe some of the other folks reading this thread are. After all of those other costs you're likely making only $10 an hour. This might be fine for family and close friends when you're still learning and have a day job, but I can see those chairs going $100 each - especially if you have someone sit down in one and get sucked in, never wanting to stand up again.

Anyhow, I hope this works out for you - good luck! I know you'll be glad to get this particular project out the door.

I believe its a bit more, but I wont quit my regular job.
At least not until my wife takes 2 more jobs so I can spend all my time in the garage.

IM shooting on getting those 2 chairs out tomorrow.

Sounds like you're an ideal candidate for an insulated and climate controlled shop, sir!!

If yer in it for the joy of doing it, by all means. No criticism there at all :)

But - if you wanna really turn a profit, double yer price and use the profit to insulate - then you won't have to deal with the weather so much :)

I tried that.
When this particular couple bought the chairs, they were interested in 2 lounges to match.
I said, well, cant make them till after the summer, alot of work, alot of cutting, cant charge less than 200 each.
They smiled and said, sure, put us in for 2.:huh:

I have to tweak my design a bit on them, and I dont put wheels on them anymore.

rennie: my chairs are pretty basic, but the curves in the seat, the 30 degree cut on the back support, along with an incurve, makes them very comfortable.
Alot of chairs are straight cuts all the way through, no matter how fancy the back slats look, straight is straight, and not half as comfy.
my lounge chairs, they pass the test, always in use, and the seat curves I cut up today. Gotta finish some chairs and get them out of the way.(the chairs dont come with the cushion or the model for 200 bucks)

Attachments

• Tiki 268 (Medium).jpg
    Tiki 268 (Medium).jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 43
  • Tiki 270 (Medium).jpg
    Tiki 270 (Medium).jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 35