Amazing New Tool "Ci1 Easy Rougher"

Stuart Ablett

Some of you may have seen this tool elsewhere, I just got mine, and boy am I impressed :D

Ci1_easy_rougher01.jpg Ci1_easy_rougher02.jpg Ci1_easy_rougher03.jpg
Here is what I got, the main tool is a solid chunk of steel, the fit and finish is top drawer, and I also got 3 inserts, the square insert, and a 2" radius insert and two 4" radius inserts, a spare screw, and the right sized allen wrench.

You can see all about this amazing tool here.........

>> Easywoodtools.com <<

The guy behind this great new tool is Craig Jackson, you can see his YouTube Videos >> HERE <<

Ci1_easy_rougher04.jpg
I've made a handle for it, using a >> Hosaluk insert << so I can use this for other tools as well.........

I tried it out on a bit of maple in spindle turning mode, and boy does it work well, but I can't wait to try it out on some of the hard knotty Keyaki (Elm) I have here :D

There is a good ongoing review at Woodturner's Resource >> HERE <<

and Craig got it into Craft Supplies USA >> HERE << but I notice they are all sold out right now :thumb:

I'll keep you updated :wave: :D

Last edited:
Stu, thanks for the review! Do you know if there are any sources besides CraftsSuppliesUSA? While checking out the Youtube link, I saw a couple of your videos. I plan on going back and watching them all when time permits. You make it look easy! Well done! Barry

Barry you can go right to Craigs web site to order the easy rougher. I have been using mine on mesquite, pine, pepper tree, doing HF, end grain lidded boxes, roughing. Just love it, even done 7 or 8 bowls with it. No sharpening, easy to tell when you need to rotate the cutting head. The only problem I had was cleaning the pitch out of the screw that holds the cutter. Once I grabbed the blade cleaner it cleared right out.

Well I had a go on a wet bowl blank, and all I can say is this is one amazing tool :eek:

I could stall my DVR at will, but it was not scary at all, no handle going up and hitting me in the chin or anything like that.

The blank I used was some of the Shinoki haul I just got, wet stuff, and this tool just destroyed it, I can see how with a larger lathe, one with more horse power, this would easily slice and dice up anything that came near it.

Still, even though I could easily stall the DVR by being over aggressive, this tool makes easy work of most anything, and boy does it make a MESS :D :D :D

Ci!_easy_rougher_ist_01.jpg Ci!_easy_rougher_ist_02.jpg

Ci!_easy_rougher_ist_03.jpg
and here is the tool with the handle I made.

One other thing, this Shinoki MUST be related to Oak, it turned anything steel BLACK in moments, I and to clean up really well around the lathe, I even had RUST forming on my Oneway live center :eek:

I took a bunch of video, but it is too late to start crunching it right now.

More later, I'm really impressed with this tool, but I have to say, wear coveralls, I was COVERED from head to toe in wood fiber, and as I was commentating on the video, I used my chainsaw, MESH face shield, NOT a good idea, next time the Triton Power respirator WILL be used :doh: :wave:

Looks cool, Stu. I like the radiused edges on the "square" inserts. I've got a couple similar carbide tools (one square and one round) from another maker. (I removed the golf club grips and use them in a Monster handle instead. I'm thinking of putting the golf grips back on them, just so I don't have to swap out whatever else is in the Monster handle at the time.) I haven't really tried using them for roughing, but I will.
...I thought Randy sold a tool that held carbide inserts as well? Maybe I can find something to fit on mine...
He does, but it's smaller and shaped differently. It fits into the various Monster hollowing tools.

Insert1.jpg

I've been working with these and they're very versatile little cutters, although they tend to operate a bit differently than other cutters I've used. I've also been playing around with a prototype bar from Randy that allows the cutter to be used with a handle. I'll post a new thread about it soon. ;)

Stu I have gone to wearing gloves when using my easy rougher. It peels wood off so fast it hurts. You can make chips real fast....Craig did a great job on this tool can't wait until he releases his next circle cutter and one other....Bruce

Yep Bruce, I saw that Craig wears a glove in his videos, I'll be wearing one too, the next time I use this tool.

I too cannot wait for the Ci0 and the CiJr :D :thumb:

Cheers!

Stu,

I have had mine for about a month and it is amazing! Mine is dull and I need to sharpen it. Is there something I need to know or do I sharpen it like any other tool?

hey Pete, I guess you have turned the insert to use all four sides eh?

The easiest thing to do would be to contract Craig and get some new inserts, I think they are something like $14 each :huh: :dunno:

I too wonder if you can sharpen these inserts, I would bet that you would have to use a Diamond stone.

I think you could just sharpen it on the flat, just rub the flat top of the insert on the stone, face down? :dunno:

I guess we should ask Craig :D :wave:

I touch mine up with my fine diamond card. I don't know how many sharpenings you can get just tried it the other day, after reading about sharpening carbide with a diamond card. Worked very well I could see a difference right away. Make sure to sharpen all three sides.

Chris the Ci1 is a great roughing tool, it will hog off wood very quickly. It is a shaping tool, you can make very fine, light cuts with it. I like it for hollowing out end grain boxes. Like I said earlier, I wear a glove the wood is flying off at a very high rate of speed. Watch Craigs Utube videos thats exactly how the tool works. The nice thing is the tool is held level, and the cutter is fully supported, very little chance of a catch. That said I have made my belt slip on my PM3520b. If you jam the tool into the wood you can stop the lathe. I've learned when roughing a log, I travel L to R than back R to L. Or you can make peeling cuts, make a cut 1/2" deep or what ever, move a little L or R and make another peeling cut. I would have to say I use this tool for 75% of my work, I still love my Thompson gouges, they just don't get used as often any more. I use them more for final shaping and shear cuts. Remember Chris it's just a tool, you can do the same job with a gouge, I'm a tool nut so I like tools. This one does what Craig said it would do. If your into production work, where you could get an extra bowl or two a day I'd say buy it, if you a tool junkie like me, buy it, if you just do 1 or 2 bowls a month, I'll leave it up to you. You won't have to sharpen this tool, I touch it up with my diamond card though. Remember this is just my 2 cents, hope it helps...Bruce

I just watched Craig's video on Utube and that tool is amazing. It seems there is nothing the tool can't do (slight exaggeration). I'm stuck with a little Jet lathe at present, but if I ever move up to a larger lathe where I'm working on larger pieces I'll make sure to get this tool. Hard to believe how controllable the tool is while at the same time as aggressive as is needed, as others have mentioned. Thanks for bringing this tool to our attention.

Lee, you are right, I think this tool would have little use on your smaller lathe, I can easily make my DVR whine and moan (seriously, you should hear the funny sounds the lathe makes when you are hogging off wood :D ).

I had another go at it today, on a nice, nearly dry chunk of Keyaki (Chinese Elm) this stuff is lovely to look at, but just about like turning concrete.Tough to turn, and dulls tools quickly, but the Ci1 just blasted through the rough out, easily.

Sounds like hype, but it is not.

Ci1_keyaki_roughout01.jpg Ci1_keyaki_roughout02.jpg Ci1_keyaki_roughout03.jpg

Once I got it nearly round and balanced, I cranked up the speed, as the saying goes "Speed is your friend" :D

I hollowed out that bowl in a couple of minutes, effortlessly :clap:

I'll get the video camera back tonight and take some vids of it for U-tube.

I also want to say that while this tool is versatile, and I'm sure many talented guys will find all sorts of uses for it, it is my understanding that Craig developed it for one thing, that is to remove a lot of waste material easily and in a hurry.

I'm sure that I could dig a 12" deep ditch with my roughing gouge around my house, but if I had to do that work, I think I'd pick up a shovel......... if you know what I mean....... :D

I found a few tricks for guys like me with lathes that are NOT 3 and 4 Hp, use the corner, not the flat, it is much less aggressive, and stalls the lathe a lot less.

I put on my mechanics coveralls, a good leather glove, on my forward hand, and my Triton Powered Respirator, and I got to tell you , I WAS laughing like an idiot :D:D

This tool hogs off a lot of material quickly and easily, and I've done 3 good sized blanks now and I've not had to sharpen anything, and don't expect that the #1 side of the insert is even sort of dull yet.

Cheers!

I've pounded out a few more blanks and covered my Dungeon to about ankle depth in shavings :doh:

I took some video that worked out OK, I'm crunching the videos on my computer right now, and then I'll be posting them up at my YouTube account, when I do that, I'll post a link here! :thumb:

I got some video shot and crunched on my computer of a quick and dirty review of this amazing tool.

>> Part One <<

The other three parts will follow.......... unless I fall asleep :rolleyes: :wave:

Last edited: