Green wood

I am new to woodturning and have read that you should turn green wood then let it dry for 1-3 months and then finish turning it. I was wondering how far do you go turning the first time and is there any way to help prevent cracking on a piece that has been turned over the entire surface and there is no bark left?

I am new to woodturning and have read that you should turn green wood then let it dry for 1-3 months and then finish turning it. I was wondering how far do you go turning the first time and is there any way to help prevent cracking on a piece that has been turned over the entire surface and there is no bark left?

For rough turning the general rule of thumb is 1" for every 10" in diameter. I have used this gauge with good results with most wood. I Anchor Seal the end grain, the rim and then wrap in a paper bag and forget about it for about a year. There is no way it would air dry in several months in my shop. Of course you could just turn the green wood to finished thickness

The environment in which the roughed out bowl will be kept has a lot to do with the success. In shops like mine in Eastern VA with no climate control I have a very high success rate. In drier areas and controlled environments it is a little more uncertain as often the relative humidity is lower.

There are many other options including denatured alcohol drying, boiling, covering with shavings, plastic bag drying, microwave drying and I even heard of one guy who uses cardboard boxes. also you could build a kiln.

The best approach is to do a number of searches.

I agree with Barbara. The one thing I think you will find is if you don't use like the DNA (denatured alcohol soak) it is going to be longer that 1 to 3 months. I have did several like that before I started the DNA soak and it is like 12 to 18 months depending on thickness. With the DNA soak it is like 2 to 3 weeks.

Thanks Vaughn. Thats a lot of good information! Yesterday I turned a vase (outside only) out if oak. It is about 12" high and 4" thick at top and bottom. I brought it into the house and this morning it had already cracked in several places.

Last edited:
I honestly thought about making a still for the stuff. The very cheapest I could find it was about $12 something a gallon at a paint supply co. that I think was giving me a deal b/c I bought 5 gallons. (B)lowe's and the like want over $15, and others are $20.
I thought about finding an old radiator & fabricating something. I don't drink, so I don't know if I'd get in trouble or not. I have too many unfinished projects anyway. Better leave that one alone.