Another Photo Gallery Test - Opinions Please

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
Here's another photo gallery test. This one is less likely to cause motion sickness, but it's still a bit more stylish than a row of pictures with captions. The first picture (the ash root bowl) shows an example of the amount of text that can be added for each description.

If I do end up going with this style, I'll pay the license fee to get rid of the BananAlbum logo startup screen, so pretend it's not there.

Here's the new test album

Let me know what you think...good, bad or indifferent.

Vaughn,

I don't know. Is it really hip? The metaphor seems a little dreamweaver-y... ;)

It just doesn't scream "we be cool, and artsy" to me... ;)

Big help, I know... ;)

Thanks,

Bill

I think if you had some color, text, graphics to add to the "mood" of the page, this one would work. Just the pics, and slider above leaves something to desire, IMO...

I prefer this one but dislike the splash screen (although its not much of a splash) at the start of loading. If it is there because you're running a trial version OK but I would not want it on my site if I had paid for the software.

Hi Vaughn.

I think I like this one more than the previous, maybe I am one those "old farts" as Stu says:D.

To give you a more detailed feedback: I like its straightforwarderness (I don't know if that word exists).

Big image to catch you eye, and small images to give the viewer a glimpse of more to come.
Small undisturbing text that one can look at it if one wants to. The animated scroll of the top pictures strip is a good thing, I didn't need any explanation to find out I could point directly to a pic I wanted to see, very intuitive:thumb:.

The pieces get selective predominance which is good, so the viewer can concentrate one at a time.

Do not forget one thing, ( you've problably thought about that already) this page will need regular maintenance because you'll have to delete the pieces that are sold and add new ones as time goes by. So make your life easier otherwise you'll be maintaining the page more time than turning.

Remove sold items inmediately from the page, a frustrated customer is a lost one.
If you want to keep the pics do it so in a separate and well identifyied section so that a potential customer can see them and maybe order similar items.
As a potential customer I would be very frustrated finding a piece that I like and knowing later that is not available anymore.

The decision making process in this sort of items is quite fast or impulsive sometimes, so make sure that everything that you show is available.

Thanks for the help so far, all.
I prefer this one but dislike the splash screen (although its not much of a splash) at the start of loading. If it is there because you're running a trial version OK but I would not want it on my site if I had paid for the software.
I agree on the splash screen. For $39 it'll go away. ;) I'm going to play with it a bit more and see how much customization I can do, and also see how to best integrate it into my existing site. I'm definitely not a Flash programmer, so I'm reliant on the options in the gallery software.

BTW, I'm using Jalbum. (www.jalbum.net) It's a freeware program that supports skins of various shapes and sizes. Each skin has different customization options, and it's very quick to change the look and feel of a gallery by switching skins. (Heck, I could even offer the viewer several versions of the same pics.) :rolleyes:

Thanks again - :wave:

This one is definitely easier to use and faster. You can look at a piece and just click on it to move on to the next. Full screen mode works great.

I liked the entertainment factor of the first one but this one is probably more pleasing to use.

Great pictures, Vaughn!

Vaughn - I like this version better. Easy to figure out how to use and I didn't get seasick when scrolling through the selections. It would be interesting to see what customized options the software offers - just to make the experience unique. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

I have seen couple of other turning galleries that use similar style of displaying pictures. It is easier to navigate and stylish too.

BTW I also like Frank's new avatar photo. I didn't know he was a college math professor.

Gallery Options

Hi Vaughin
I like the second one better, simple and sincere. Does it cost much to use? For my website, I used irfanview (free) to develop a slideshow as I did all the coding and website upload myself.

The only thing of interest was, I received an email from National Geographic one day, and they requested to use one of my images for their publication. It didn't work because I did not have the RAW image file available anymore, and they need this to publish. Too bad. See slideshow at http://www.alpinemeadowslodge.com/my_images/thumbnails.html

Cheers
Irv Graham