Feels like home!

Hello, my name is Ken Johnson and I'm from the Pinebelt - south central Ms. I stumbled upon this unbelievable website last evening. The more I read and explored, the more I knew I had found a place I belong. As many others here I suspect, woodworking became a deep rooted part of me during an eighth grade shop class. Fortunately, I've never been able to get my fill of building. I have yet to find any form of if that I didn't enjoy. I still posses most of my projects from that shop class and at some point during each project since, find myself reminiscing those days of enlightment. Thanks for having me as a member and as one can probably tell I am absolutely thrilled to be here!

Welcome to the family Kenneth, and remember we love pics! that's the first thing I learnt when I joined this fantastic family.

Our motto is "no pics, didn't happen":):thumb:

welcome kenneth

and its good to hear of another dixie fellar in here and youhappen to be close to a freind of mine. he lives in taylorsville and used to live in laurel. bobby benison is what he goes by:) been down in your parts a few times chasin and waitin for your brown rabbits:) we got a good mix of folk here and you will fit right in..:wave:

and its good to hear of another dixie fellar in here and youhappen to be close to a freind of mine. he lives in taylorsville and used to live in laurel. bobby benison is what he goes by:) been down in your parts a few times chasin and waitin for your brown rabbits:) we got a good mix of folk here and you will fit right in..:wave:

Welcome Kenneth sounds like you'll fit right in,

WOW Larry you wrote your response in plain English so will you translate so we know its really you... or is it? :):D:wave::rofl::wave:

HOSPITALITY!

Thanks for the welcome guys! And yes Larry, T'ville only about 17 miles from from here. You may not believe this but the first rabbit hunt with dogs in my life was in T'ville, and have not been on a better one since. Could have said the same about dove hunts until a shoot in the delta about two years ago. Point taken regarding the pics Toni. I'll get on it, sounds like a good policy, a deliar if you will (that's what my grandfather called his fish scales :rofl:. So I'll try to keep my tales believable until I get some pics downloaded / ?uploaded:dunno:.

Thanks for the welcome guys! And yes Larry, T'ville only about 17 miles from from here. You may not believe this but the first rabbit hunt with dogs in my life was in T'ville, and have not been on a better one since. Could have said the same about dove hunts until a shoot in the delta about two years ago. Point taken regarding the pics Toni. I'll get on it, sounds like a good policy, a deliar if you will (that's what my grandfather called his fish scales :rofl:. So I'll try to keep my tales believable until I get some pics downloaded / ?uploaded:dunno:.

well here is sum uncoding ken:) i was referin to your deer down there,, you even think about them and there gone! they got springs in places our deer never dreamed of..have hunted down there on several occasions, yazzo swamp, and the nursery,thats what bobby called it, it was a large lease that he belonged to.. terra was in the story too.. if i member right.

pics?

Just happen to have a few of a recently completed chess board. It was my first but definitely not my last. I just love it when there is a way to combine to of my favorite things into one!

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

023.jpg

This is a smaller than regulation size board, frequently referred to as an analysis board. Recent times have seen chess regaining popularity through internet play. Such analysis boards can be used to plan strategies from saved positions even when one is not online:huh:. The above board has 1 1/8 in squares. The light squares being maple and the dark squares mahogany. The borders are of walnut and maple on its edge. Fortunately, pictures hide flaws but hopefully I can improve on my next board. This was by far my favorite project in some time.

oops, thanks for the translation

OOOOOhhh. You meant deer, Larry. I said to myself as I read your first post, "hmm, never heard em called brown rabbits, wild wabbits, but never brown rabbits?". Yes, you are right, they can really move. I just find it amazing that you have been in this area before and reside in Michigan. I've been trying to put a face on Bobby Benison and just can't but I know a lady, first name Elizabeth but unsure if Benison is her married or maiden name?? Now, help me out regarding "terra in the story", not sure I followed that and have realized I probably should ask, (thanx to Bart):D

catch up... the benison's are from the taylorsville area for years. the terra part is a name or area that the lease was from or called. they were big in to oil drilling the boys bobby was the mississippi state arechery chapion and has qualified for the world shoot in the past. he is a large guy with a smile as big as he is. his dad died a year or so agao and his mom in the last year aswell. when katrina came threw your parts his mom lost her house. he was affliated with leaf river outdoors sport shop, i think that was in laurel. he has been on mississippi outdoors on several occassions. and taught arechery in one of the hunt clubs down there..there is a little store near you that is a ups drop off spot and sells bait been there too just alittle store.. cant remeber the name of it but if i saw it i would it stood out.. big name littel store:) now when i get back down there i have another reason to go:thumb:

P.S he is in a small blues band as well and has traveled around the area some doing small gigs he just got married last fall or winter.

Last edited:
Hi Ken :wave:,
It is a pleasure to have you here with us. Make yourself at home.
Have you seen the movie "In search of Bobby Fisher"? It is a marvelous movie. I always thought B.Fisher would have been a good selection for President. But alas, he is gone.
Shaz :)