Northern Idaho Bike Ride

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
This link - Route of the Hiawatha - will take you to a site that details a 15 mile bike trail along the old rail route of the Great Northern. The trail passes through many tunnels - one over 8,000' long - several trestles - one over 700' long and 200' high - through some of the most beautiful scenery in the northwest. Be sure to check out the photo album.

This is something I've been wanting to do for several years and this might be the year I do it! We're thinking of going up in September when the weather cools just a bit.

Anyone ever done this? How about you Ken Fitzgerald? Been there? Want to?

have to ask???

rennie you appear to be a pretty big fella, how do you stand to sit on one of those littel banna seats for that long.. the veiw is great but i would rather walk than sit on one of those seats,, the thought alone tightens me up:eek:

rennie you appear to be a pretty big fella, how do you stand to sit on one of those littel banna seats for that long.. the veiw is great but i would rather walk than sit on one of those seats,, the thought alone tightens me up:eek:
I changed over to a big, padded, well sprung seat long ago. The little banana seat kept getting lost. :eek::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Rennie,

No I haven't been there but......PBS had a show a couple of years ago about riding on that trail. It did, indeed, look like fun. That part of Idaho is some of the prettiest around. If you haven't been to the part of the state before, come a couple of days early. There is a state part north of Cda that is gorgeous...the area around Sandpoint......simply stunning....the road from Sand Point going north and then east to Troy, MT.....Gorgeous......

And of course, based on the opinion of my I-Ls....the prettiest 200 mile drive in the US is between Lewiston and Missoula on US-12.

If you make it up this way, by all means...let me know in advance! We've got an extra bedroom (fully but modestly equiped, I might add) that you're certainly welcome to use. Take a jet boat trip down Hell's Canyon. My wife goes there almost annually with the 4th grade class at the school where she works. She never tires of the trip or the scenery. I just planned, booked and pulled off a trip for my co-workers and their families last September...23 people including children. Everybody loved the trip. White water in a jet boat...that even has an enclosed outhouse services onboard. It's a kick!

Rennie, that does look like a great trip, with the added bonus of next to no grade, as it is a rail line :thumb: :D

Hope you get to do it, looks like great fun!:wave:

Rennie,
I'd highly recommend this trip...you won't be disappointed. My brother and sister couldn't say enough good things about the trails. Much of my family lives in silver country between CDA and Wallace, ID so I know how beautiful the area is. It is much more lush and green than Southern ID (no offense). It also stays much cooler during the Summer than you might think.

FYI-They just quit skiing at Silver Valley and Lookout in the last few weeks because of lack of demand (not lack of snow)!