Design critic wanted

Jeff Horton

READ THIS before answering! This is a mock up, it is not glued together so the joints are loose! The sanding is not done. Lots of things not finished. OK? :)

So with that out of the way I wanted HONEST input on the concept/idea for this box. Not the execution because it not finished! This is my second attempt at this idea. In my opinion the sides are too thick when you look inside it, but they are just right on the outside for the joints.

I was going to to do something different on the lid but after getting this on the box I think it might work. Needs to be simple not to distract from the box joints. Maybe just round the edges.

OK, now I am open for honesty. I am not thick skinned but I promise not to get mad if you hate it. Just say it nice. ;) I really do want to know if you don't like it.

Attachments

• box.jpg
    box.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 61
  • box2.jpg
    box2.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 54
Okay, I'll take you at your word that you won't hate me...

I find the large box joints overwhelming. I'm not sure what look you're going for here, but I think by having the box joints thicker than the top you have an imbalance. If you're trying to make it look heavy and solid, think about making the top thicker.

My .02 Canadian

Jeff, what is the box to be used for? I agree that, at first glance the sides and top appear to be too thick. But for certain contents (say a large book) the thickness would be fine, where for others (say jewelry) the thickness would be inappropriate.

Jeff

If you want it to have the massive look ............Just considering at it as is, without the benefit of its intended use, I think it would be cool to make the top the same thickness as the box/finger joints. And really work hard at getting a tight seam between the lid and the top of the box. Then it would look more like a solid block, from one side the top would look like a continuation of the bottom of the box.

But, if you aren't trying for a massive look, then I would suggest thinning down the sides and using more joints for a more delicate look.

Jay

READ THIS before answering! This is a mock up, it is not glued together so the joints are loose! The sanding is not done. Lots of things not finished. OK? :)

So with that out of the way I wanted HONEST input on the concept/idea for this box. Not the execution because it not finished! This is my second attempt at this idea. In my opinion the sides are too thick when you look inside it, but they are just right on the outside for the joints.

I was going to to do something different on the lid but after getting this on the box I think it might work. Needs to be simple not to distract from the box joints. Maybe just round the edges.

OK, now I am open for honesty. I am not thick skinned but I promise not to get mad if you hate it. Just say it nice. ;) I really do want to know if you don't like it.
Okay Jeff, "you want the truth??? You can't handle the truth!"...Jack Nicholson to Tom Cruise...:rofl:
Just poking fun, actually the second photo looks real nice proportionately. I think in this case it would work if ,oddly enough, that which you present in the box deems it necessary to use that thick stock. Maybe large piece of shrapnel( don't laugh, I have a small piece that is worth me building a box for), or a civil war musket ball. I'm not trying to be funny, Just believe that whatever you put in there should command that weighty a box.
Enter another option, if you have the ability to crosscut dado (eliminate the yellow)
the sides you could thin the walls, if the thickness bothers youcorner option 3.jpg. Another option would be to run a rabbet around the top lip therefore thinning the look upon opening, rabbet deep and set in a tiny drop in drawer, and the list goes on and on. Good luck and keep questioning.:thumb:
Shaz

Last edited:
Gee, talk about honest! :rofl:

OK, I like it but I can tell I am in the minority. But that is why I asked. Wife didn't care for it either. Guess I should have listened to her. :rolleyes: :dunno:

Nothing ventured, nothing gained!

Hi Ya Jeff. OK here you go. I think the joines are a a little too short. They need to be a bit rounded over insted of trying to make them with a chanfer.
G&G made box joints like that and did them very well. What they did do differently was they made the center one wider than the outside ones. Then they put a ebony black squre slug in the center of the two outsude joints and made the top in a pyramid shap on the ends. The top might need to over lap over the edges a bit and have a maybe some kind of o-gee edge but not comming to a square bottom insted let it round over under the top to give it the strong bold look your looking for
Reg
P.S but then again I might be full of it :dunno:

Thanks for the input. Reg knew where I was going. This box has no purpose honestly, other than just learning. My inspiration was Greene and Greene furniture. I have never seen one of their boxes Reg, will have to look and see if I can find one.

Here is a piece of furniture I am going to make and this is where I got the idea.

01.jpg

Just playing with the idea to see if I like it. If I thin the sides the joints will not look right. At least to me. But as is the sides are way to thick for a small box too. So this may only be good for larger boxes.

Jeff
Still thinking on this one.

What are you looking for? To me the thickness is way out of proportion to the size of the box. The large dovetails speak to a certain period or style of joint making. That wouldn't be a matter open to criticizm, IMHO.

Hey Jeff,
I have to add my 2 cents to the gang that thinks its too thick, but the G&G piece sure looks cool. Not an expert on G&G, but I do thick they added some things that were purely decorative, eg. fake thru tenons. Could the thickness of the fingers on that drawer be "contrived" and not actually the thickness of the drawer side??:dunno:

Now this idea is way out of the park, but how about thinning the walls on the inside. Take your bandsaw and resaw a nice smooth arc thru each side. Maybe roundover the outside fingers, too.

I'll bet its gonna look good by the time your done:thumb:

TAKE TWO

In an attempt to save this box I thinned the sides. The more I looked at it the less I liked the thick sides. Decided that I would never be happy so I might was well cut it down and see what happened. If nothing else I can use this as model for the next box I build. At worst it become a smaller miter box. ;)

box3.jpgbox4.jpg

So, is it better? Still not glued or sanded or anything. Still looking at it.

Well what the heck heres my pennies worth

I think somebody already suggested that the width of the drawer really scales down the large fingers.
On your box since its so narrow maybe 2 fingers on the front 3 on the sides

But I guess that suggestion doesn't save the box