strange truck malady

Ned Bulken

My Sonoma's wipers are malfunctioning in a strange way. When on intermittent, they're erratic; instead of wipe, wait, wait, wipe, it is wipe, wait, wipe wipe, wait, wipe wipe wipe, wait, and so on up to 9 wipes, then it goes back to wipe, wait, for a couple of cycles, then it increases again, but not at the same interval. Argh, think I need a new control module for it. it still does steady or 'full' wiping fine, and full tilt wiping, same thing, only on intermittent is it getting strange.

Last edited:
Sounds like your transmognifier is out of phase :D :wave:

It sucks tracking down that kind of gremlin, most often, replacing the control unit is the only thing you can do :bang:

:dunno:

wiper malady

I don't think you will have to tear out the dash Ned. The steering wheel will more than likely suffice. Those units / motors usually come as an assembly which includes blinker + emergency flasher. Admittedly I've been out of the parts biz for some time and have little to no knowledge of the Sonomas. I did replace one of these assemblies by myself once, however, on a Nissan truck. If memory serves me right it was in stock at the dealer and < $100. Fairly sure it will have to come from a dealer. Oh yeah, I also recall it was < 2 hour job. Hope this helps, good luck. Ken Johnson

Thanks Ken, I'll live with it for a couple of weeks no doubt, considering how little the truck is used. I have a company car and that sees action daily, whereas my truck might go pick up lumber or whatnot a couple of times a month.

Anyone else remember the day, heaven forbid, that we did not have intermitten wipers...even the two speed was a huge advancement!

Or worse yet, the old vacuum operated wipers...faster you drove, faster your wipers worked, to a point!

Of course, I was a lucky teen and had the type you leaned out and manually operated on my first car...

Doug

Anyone else remember the day, heaven forbid, that we did not have intermitten wipers...even the two speed was a huge advancement!

Or worse yet, the old vacuum operated wipers...faster you drove, faster your wipers worked, to a point!

Of course, I was a lucky teen and had the type you leaned out and manually operated on my first car...

Doug

Yes, and we are so spoiled nowadays that the minimal incovenience is a tragedy. And we complain about our sons, maybe we should start looking at ourselves first...:(

I can live with them as is, I thought someone might get a kick out of how they're malfunctioning.

leaning out the window to work the wipers, I've done that to clear ice off of the blades, but not to operate them to begin with. glad that I'm able to 'enjoy' my truck.

I can live with them as is, I thought someone might get a kick out of how they're malfunctioning.

leaning out the window to work the wipers, I've done that to clear ice off of the blades, but not to operate them to begin with. glad that I'm able to 'enjoy' my truck.
Ned, you're just not old enough to have that kind of good memories - like, there once were no remote side view mirrors! :eek::rofl:

geeze, my truck is that old then? No power windows either. AC and cruise I refuse to live without, the rest is negotiable.
Cruise used to be a stick wedged between the gas pedal and the driver's seat. Air consisted of four windows rolled down :rofl::rofl: If you were really lucky, you could afford an add on AC unit that hung under the dash and looked like something out of a very bad SF thriller.:rofl::rofl: Oh, and gas was $.19 a gallon.:D

I was just down this road, sort of. Decided to put intermittent wipers on the one ton. Chevy uses a module to control them. On my 88 it was located right on the bottom of the steering column. Took all of 10 minutes to put it in.
It plugged right into the original harness :thumb:

The new wiper switch on the other hand took a an hour since I had to disasemble the whole steering column :rolleyes:

My Dodge does the same thing. Been doing it for a couple years. I decided to just live with it. The wipers on the '55 Caddy I had for a farm truck would come on when you hit 50 mph. Never did figure out that vacuum leak.