Life changing news on the home front

Ned Bulken

Lori, the LOML has been battling neuropathy in her feet for about a year now, and after frequent urging from me, she finally got in to the doctor and did something about it. She has been diagnosed with type II diabetes, and is on oral meds for it. She evidently has had it for awhile now, going back to her pregnancy with her (our) youngest son when she got gestational diabetes. She carefully watched her diet etc... and seemed to have things under control until the neuropathy kicked in.

one week in and she's feeling much better and the meds are slowly bringing her back to 'normal' levels, though they're not sure what 'normal' will be for her going forward.

We've already been on a diabetic friendly diet, the primary difference now is that she's on meds and responding to them. Getting used to the metering and eating on a schedule is 'fun', but I'd rather she did that than the alternative.

Ned, glad she went to the doctor. Diabetes can be very bad if it goes untreated. My grandma loss her eyesight from it, and my uncle, her son, has as well.

My grandma got hers under control with diet and lived a healthy and vibrant life for many more years after.

Good luck to you and your LOYL!

Ned, my best to your wife. I'm in the same boat, with Type II diagnosed last November. I'm on two meds, and the hardest part for me has been eating on a "schedule", rather than when I feel like it. My doc finally cut me down to three finger sticks a week. The good thing is that since I cut out so much bread, potatoes, and pasta, I've lost 20 pounds!!!

Good luck to both of you. It's not a fun thing.

Ned, it's not so a pleasend thing, just like Nancy said, my son-in-low has it too. Another lifestyle is needed!!
Ad

Good luck and courage to both of you, changing habits is sometimes difficult but when it comes down to health issues what is needed to be done, has to be done.

I'm also sending prayers to you.

thanks All, I'm quite relieved to have her under treatment for it, though it now has her looking askance in my direction. I'm a prime candidate too. Neither of us have hereditary factors, purely environment and lifestyle/diet ones. My doctor's appt is in July (soonest they could fit me in)

Normal now is considered about 90 to 100 with a glucose meter, and 7 with an a1c test. The a1c test tells the true story, the test averages highs and lows over a three month period. I feel good with a gluclose meter reading of 110, below that I feel whoozy and light headed.

I highly recommend an endocrinologist if your doctor does not bring it toward real control within 6 months, she will also want to consider starting to go see a foot doctor to keep an eye on her feet.

I screwed around with a gp for years trying to get my diabetes under control with pills and diet, well that was years wasted ( more damage done ), the endro had it under control within 3 months. An endro keeps up with the latest advances with medications and treatments with the disease.

Symptoms can include blurry vision, constant thirst, low energy, If you have these symptoms don't wait... get to your doctor as soon as possible, the more time diabetes goes undiagnosed the more permanent damage is done to just about every organ in the body.

Be well .... Dave

Last edited:
Best of luck, to you both.

My wife had gestational diabetes too, then it went away after our youngest was born. Her dad needs insulin shots so there is that to worry about on her side of the family.

My mom is 82 and just found out she now has diabetes.

Let us know how your appointment goes Ned.