shipping question...

larry merlau

how long should i allow for shipping a project from delton, mi to seattle, washington by truck freight or how ever it gets there? we must have some ole truckers out here in our family????

I tried to buy a hot tub cover from a place in CA and it spent about a week on the road. I say try because it arrived at the local terminal damaged and was sent back. Apparently it was stuck by forks, despite large warnings not to handle it with a fork truck.

Larry,

PM me the details, if you have shipped already...Freight company, size/weight, date shipping, and if they have an office here I can check for you if you'd like.

most major freight companies have a website that offers tracking.
Using pro numbers, bill of lading numbers, or order numbers.
If not, customer service can usually track it if you have a sender and receiver address.
I have merchandise shipped regularly from Columbus to my business in NY.
It generally takes 4-5 days, but if they have no truck available for local delivery, it can sit in the local terminal for 3 or 4 days.
Id give it a week, then call them. They are usually pretty good with delivery times and dates, if you used a big company ofcourse.
If you shipped with a local man with a van type, he might stop off in Wyoming to visit his girlfriend, then stop off in Colorado to say hi to his wife, then maybe swing down to Texas to say hi to his mom.

I can't resist posting...

I sent a flag box to my cousin in Cleveland via UPS. They dropped it. He sent it back to me USPS and I repaired it. Since the post office didn't break it any more than UPS already had, I sent it back to him via USPS. THEY broke it worse than UPS did the first time. Filing a damage claim is an exercise in absurdity... but we did get the insurance money of $100 out of them. Last week he put the broken base only in the mail back here again so I could fix it. Yesterday he got confirmation that it had been delivered... in Marion, OH. Not here.

We've figure our dads are looking down and enjoying a laugh at our expense. :rofl:

I won't ship anything again... with anybody.

Priority Mail

I guess this is a plug for USPS Priority Mail which I think is handled by FedEx.

I know a small company who last year shipped some 30,000 packages via Priority Mail. Only had one problem.

That is a pretty good record!!!

shipping a success!!!

well i wasnt going to post anything but i felt i needed to let others know that there are still good shipping companys out there.. i shipped a cedar chest to bart for safe keeping threw fed X and they did a bang up job,, in the good sense of the word.. i had found this chest next to the end tables in art van and figured it would work for wedding pressent.. anyway they got it there in 6working days and called bart last night informing him of the delivery time and would call 1 hour proir to delivery at the destination.. they did all of that and it had no scratches on it.. :thumb::thumb: so a big two thumbs up for FED X delivery..
now back to your regulary scheduled turnings

I guess this is a plug for USPS Priority Mail which I think is handled by FedEx.

I know a small company who last year shipped some 30,000 packages via Priority Mail. Only had one problem.

That is a pretty good record!!!

Pete,
I am a Mailman so I have first hand knowledge of how they process packages.

Priority mail is handled (shipped) as quickly as possible cause the USPS charges a little more for it & they want the customer to get it as fast as possible.

The USPS ship it's packages to different states by regular airlines all airlines MUST reserve space for USPS mail / packages. Sometimes if we have to much stuff to other states they will buy space on UPS or Fed EX planes. When I ship stuff to friends I do use USPS cause it's cheaper also I always make sure it's well packaged & also will mark "Fragile glass" even if it's not. So I am sure it is handled carefully. we have 25 routes in our station The reason is cause when we get parcels in large containers & the clerks open the containers find out what route they go to then throw the parcels into the correct bin but if it's marked "fragile glass" then they will either put it by our route case or walk to the correct bin & place it in the bin. I talk to UPS & Fed EX drivers I see while delivering my route just to complain about our respective companies & how we handle parcels & just regular BS, they do similar they throw them in to respective bins.

So my recommendation is always mark it fragile glass & also I always send it by "Delivery Confirmation" it cost $1 & I can track it by the computer so I don't have to wonder when they get it I know exactly when it's delivered.
I hope this helps.

Chuck

Last edited:
in response to

denise and chuck, denise i might have gotten lucky but i usually am not a leprochan:D and as for the rating chuck it was listed as furniture and was marked fragile on the crate, it weighed 155LBs so it would have to be a pretty good sized fella to toss it in a bin but they could have just shook it off the forks.
sorry for taking more of familys time..

I can't resist posting...

I sent a flag box to my cousin in Cleveland via UPS. They dropped it. He sent it back to me USPS and I repaired it. Since the post office didn't break it any more than UPS already had, I sent it back to him via USPS. THEY broke it worse than UPS did the first time. Filing a damage claim is an exercise in absurdity... but we did get the insurance money of $100 out of them. Last week he put the broken base only in the mail back here again so I could fix it. Yesterday he got confirmation that it had been delivered... in Marion, OH. Not here.

We've figure our dads are looking down and enjoying a laugh at our expense. :rofl:

I won't ship anything again... with anybody.

We are digressing a bit, but..... My wife is a bell collector. And those are very fragile, indeed. Almost all that come to her are double, or triple boxed with lots of cushioning stuff in between layers. The general rule is, expect the worst en route and pack accordingly.

I was getting concerned and thinking about checking the EPA rules on toxic waste in the event you were thinking about saving gas money next summer and shipping yourself from place to place on your "trek"!!! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Glad you had a good shipping adventure! :doh:

Yep, two heifers and cow and calf at the fairgrounds, two gilts in the trailer as I am typing. Tess' tenth and final year in 4H. :( Where did the time go?:dunno: But you met CJ, won't be long and he'll be in!!:doh: