Saw a Cool Car

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
I was tagging along in traffic yesterday with one of these:

Car3.jpg

It's the Maserati Quattroporte. Now I see my fair share of $100,000 and higher cars here in LA, but this one caught my attention. I could hear this one coming up from behind me like a pack of Harley riders. :eek: The sound of the engine and quad exhaust on this thing could only be described as a rip-snortin' snarl. We were in 45 to 50 mph traffic, so the guy driving it couldn't open it up, but it was wicked sounding on city streets. It was going through 3 or 4 gears from the stop light to 50 mph or so, and each gear shift was announced with a growling snort and pop like a race car.

I tried taking a pic or two with my cell phone, but it's not a good idea to be snapping pictures while driving, so I got nothing worth posting. Plus, I suspect the Russian Mafia-looking guy driving it might not have appreciated being the star of my show. :rolleyes:

So, what's the wildest/coolest/bestest car you've ever see on the road? This one's got to be in my Top Five.

I've seen just about everything you can imagine here in Tokyo, but the coolest car, man, that would be hard to say..........:huh:

464554920_ebdd7f06c2.jpg

Bugatii Veyron Saw this one parked up, and even standing still, it looks FAST :thumb:

ferrari-enzo-2.jpg

Yep, and Enzo :D

800px-TOYOTA_2000GT.jpg

There used to be a guy in my area that had a Toyota 2000GT, original owner too.:eek:

Pagani_Zonda.jpg

I'm fairly sure I saw a Zonda once, but I could not get behind it or near it, in traffic to confirm that, it went by at an intersection and I did not see it again..... "Possible Sighting" :doh:

mclaren_f1.jpg

McLaren F1, can you imagine one of these in Tokyo Traffic :bang:

I'm sure there have been others......:wave:

Honestly, I'm not impressed. I keep asking "Why?". Those things seem pretty wuthless to me. And the loud exhaust is a puzzler. I pay for mufflers that muffle sound and keep the vehicle quiet. They pay a lot extra for mufflers that don't muffle. In the old days, we, younger and stupider types, might just tear out the muffler or put in straight pipes. I think I did that once, for about ten minutes. Why, those fancy little cars, you can't haul hogs or much hay in them. Wuthless. Now, here is a beautiful vehicle. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• put.jpg
    put.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 42
Frank, I'd not ever buy one either, even if I could afford one :rolleyes: but you know, one of these car nuts could make exactly the same arguments about your guns :eek: :wave:

The freedom to like what we like is sure great! :thumb:

I'm bracketed by two of the pricier zip-codes in Orange County, so Ferraris and high-end Porsches are thick on the ground locally. Rarest, probably a Ford GT: a real one, one of the 1966(?) street models, in right-hand drive.

But the lemon-yellow Lamborghini Diablo going through the drive-thru window at Carls Jr was the funniest.:rofl:

Frank, I'd not ever buy one either, even if I could afford one :rolleyes: but you know, one of these car nuts could make exactly the same arguments about your guns :eek: :wave:

The freedom to like what we like is sure great! :thumb:

My poor excuse for humor may be too subtle.
It is in the eye of the beholder.
I have an in-law who drives expensive cars. Once rode in his $80,000.00 Jaguar. Felt like my butt was dragging on the pavement, absolutely no room for my feet. Completely uncomfortable. But, he fantasizes that people see HIM driving this expensive car. IMHO, that's a sickness. He might be wealthy but he is desperate for what he considers acknowledgement.
I understand the 'haves' have no better use for their money. Each to his own.

So, what's the wildest/coolest/bestest car you've ever see on the road?

My own are all from 20 years ago.

Coolest Production Sports Car: 1988 -- Hamilton, Ontario. Red Lamborghini in the parking lot of the apartment building where I was then living. Needless to say, they were in the Visitor's parking.
88-lamborghini.JPG

Wildest ordinary car: 1988 -- San Francisco, Chinatown. I think it was a Datsun. Sorry about the glare. I had more hair then :rolleyes:
88-funnycar.JPG

Most unique production car: 80-85ish -- Niagara, Ontario. My neighour at the time ran a greenhouse operation that was doing pretty well and he liked cars. This was right when the DeLorean came out. But I guess he didn't like the look of Stainless Steel, as he had his painted a gorgeous bright red. Unfortunately I do not have a photo of it. But maybe it wasn't that unique after all, as when I googled I found a few others.
red-delorean.jpg

Now, I do see plenty of Smart cars on the road around here, which would be pretty unusual for all you folks in the US. They also get used as novelty cars by some local companies for advertising. There is one with a big wind-up key on the roof.
Hmm, google-google-google... Here it is!
envirolet_smart_car_2_lot.jpg

And speaking of novelty cars. I also see a red bull modified Mini Cooper around town pretty regularly. (again, google provided this photo)
redbullcar.jpg

...art

This was right when the DeLorean came out. But I guess he didn't like the look of Stainless Steel, as he had his painted a gorgeous bright red.
File that under "making a virtue out of a vice".:p

Had a conversation about that with a co-worker who was selling his. One of the issues with the DeLorean was that it was almost impossible to get a good match to the machine-brushed factory finish. So any accident that required body work usually resulted in a full-car paint job. And apparently painting the stainless wasn't exactly a fun job either.:eek:

Now, I do see plenty of Smart cars on the road around here, which would be pretty unusual for all you folks in the US. They also get used as novelty cars by some local companies for advertising. There is one with a big wind-up key on the roof.
View attachment 21571

And speaking of novelty cars. I also see a red bull modified Mini Cooper around town pretty regularly. (again, google provided this photo)
View attachment 21572

...art

Art,
when I was over in Albany last week, I saw a smart-car Dealership, so we'll be seeing plenty of those in the future. I'd buy one in a heartbeat if I thought I could fit in one.

and let's not forget my rolling billboard:
billygoat.jpg

Vaughn asked: "So, what's the wildest/coolest/bestest car you've ever see on the road?"

'wildest' in this case may not be what you are thinking about. But, the question did bring up a bad memory for what I consider, by far, the wildest car I have ever seen on the road.
Several years ago, I was driving into Little Rock with my wife and daughter in the car. We were coming off one highway and connecting with an Interstate at a point that always has been very dangerous. As I entered the interstate, a car changed lanes and pulled in front of me. At 60 mph plus it was heading straight for me. The fear I felt was beyond description because I knew instantly I couldn't react or brake in time to avoid a serious head-on collision that would probably kill all.
Nothing happened. After a few moments of incredible fear, I realized the car was actually traveling in the same direction as I was. I passed it and saw a sign on the sign that indicated it was some kind of (sick) advertising stunt. It was a car body placed backwards on the chassis to make it look like it was going the opposite direction from actual travel.
This might be interesting at 5 mph in a parade but it was terrifying and potentially dangerous on an interstate.
"wild" only begins to describe that experience.

Art,
when I was over in Albany last week, I saw a smart-car Dealership, so we'll be seeing plenty of those in the future. I'd buy one in a heartbeat if I thought I could fit in one.

Yeah they had to swap the Diesel for Gasoline to get it into the US, as I understand. I think they're swapping the Canadian ones to gas also.

Before you buy one, though, do check prices and compare. Around here they were priced fairly similarly to a small 4 passenger Toyota (Yaris) or a few other tiny cars. And a 4 passenger can a be a bit more useful than a 2 passenger with not much difference on the fuel economy. Of course, at 6'3" I'm not at all sure that I'd fit in a Yaris either.

I still remember the time my friend took me for a ride in his Mazda Miata. He was only 5'10 and fit ok. I sat down in the passenger seat and bonked my knees on the dash. Sigh.

Yeah they had to swap the Diesel for Gasoline to get it into the US, as I understand. I think they're swapping the Canadian ones to gas also.

Before you buy one, though, do check prices and compare. Around here they were priced fairly similarly to a small 4 passenger Toyota (Yaris) or a few other tiny cars. And a 4 passenger can a be a bit more useful than a 2 passenger with not much difference on the fuel economy. Of course, at 6'3" I'm not at all sure that I'd fit in a Yaris either.

I still remember the time my friend took me for a ride in his Mazda Miata. He was only 5'10 and fit ok. I sat down in the passenger seat and bonked my knees on the dash. Sigh.

they certainly had to do that in NY anyway, unless they managed to clean up the diesel. If it is gas only then I'll just stick with my Mazda Protege which is paid for and 4 passenger.

Those 'pocket cars' will be all the rage though with fuel prices where they are.

One thing I'll say about the Smart Gas car, it runs on "Premium" only, so it may use less gallons of gas, the gas it uses is the most expensive stuff out there........ :doh:

Oh, I'll say one more thing about them, they crash well........

>> Smart Car Crash Test at 70 MPH <<

But if I had to buy a "Smart" car I'd want >> This << one :D

Art,

Smart cars are being sold in the US now, there is one right down the block from me. I am holding out for a new car as I think alternative fuels will be taking off big time in the not to distant future, Hydrogen gets my vote.

Heather

My own are all from 20 years ago.

Coolest Production Sports Car: 1988 -- Hamilton, Ontario. Red Lamborghini in the parking lot of the apartment building where I was then living. Needless to say, they were in the Visitor's parking.
View attachment 21568

Wildest ordinary car: 1988 -- San Francisco, Chinatown. I think it was a Datsun. Sorry about the glare. I had more hair then :rolleyes:
View attachment 21569

Most unique production car: 80-85ish -- Niagara, Ontario. My neighour at the time ran a greenhouse operation that was doing pretty well and he liked cars. This was right when the DeLorean came out. But I guess he didn't like the look of Stainless Steel, as he had his painted a gorgeous bright red. Unfortunately I do not have a photo of it. But maybe it wasn't that unique after all, as when I googled I found a few others.
View attachment 21570

View attachment 21571

View attachment 21572

...art

they certainly had to do that in NY anyway, unless they managed to clean up the diesel.

Yeah but this never made sense to me. Did they ban all the huge diesel trucks on the highways? Did they ban the diesel powered heavy equipment used in bulldozers/diggers/etc ?? No they banned a tiny fuel sipping car. :huh:

But if I had to buy a "Smart" car I'd want >> This << one :D

Nuts. Nuts with too much money and time...

Anyone seen this yet? They are supposed to be on the market by the end of the year. All electric and supposed to get 250 miles per charge. The price tag may make it hard to get ROI though!:eek:

Tesla Motors

wallpaper_4982_300x225.jpg