New Sub forum idea or sort of...

Hi there.

Some time ago there was thread asking whether we should increase or decrease the number of sub forums that we have nowadays.

Shaz just posted a survey to gather ideas and opinions to make this forum better, and while answering to it I just had an idea that might be interesting.

At some time most of us posted the whole process of one of our projects, with many pics and explanations. Shaz for instance has been very thorough in his last one (thanks Shaz:thumb:).

So, would it be a good idea to have some sort of section dedicated only to show “the making of” any project?:dunno:

The initial post could (and I think should) still be on the appropiate forum but once finished It could either be moved or copied to a sub-forum where all the “makings of” would be grouped and any member could look at them when making a similar project to get ideas.

Thinking at it maybe this subforum could be just a list of links to those posts, couldn’t it? Maybe a link could be inserted automatically to this list by using a keyword on the subject such as the already said “making of”:huh:.

In this way there would not be any need to surf or search through all threads to find such projects.

I do not know if this should be a general sub forum or a subforum specific to each one.

Following the same idea that Shaz started sometime ago why not have a Gallery forum dedicated to post only images? Instead of a thread?

I do not know how difficult would this be to our moderators.:dunno::huh:

Anyway here is the idea, now it is your turn to opinate. Please make this forum better by doing so.

Interesting idea but I am not sure we have enough posts to justify another forum. "I THINK" we have to many now. We have a bunch of subforums that don't see much use. But this is just my opinion.

Maybe we could put a sticky at the top of the Projects forum with links to past threads? Vaughn/Stu/Greg Can a moderator edit a Sticky? I think we can but I am not sure. I would rather see something like that than adding another forum.

Interesting idea but I am not sure we have enough posts to justify another forum. "I THINK" we have to many now. We have a bunch of subforums that don't see much use. But this is just my opinion.

Maybe we could put a sticky at the top of the Projects forum with links to past threads? Vaughn/Stu/Greg Can a moderator edit a Sticky? I think we can but I am not sure. I would rather see something like that than adding another forum.

hey your the one of the head cheezzs so do as you think best you have so far thats my thought but its tonis idea. just being able to refence the threads easily is the key, jeff exspecailly for the one that arent as puter savvy as some. and then enter in fat finners and cant spell nee:Dder

Toni,
I'm with Jeff on this one, we really don't need another sub-forum.

However
your idea isn't without merit. I like the idea of a Sticky thread, perhaps one in each sub-forum with links to the how to threads? Or the Projects forum, that's a cool place for it, come to think of it.

This is the Library on my "other" forum. It's nice because it focuses on North Carolina woodworkers and we're able to get together fairly regularly. The Library is not another forum. I don't understand the nuts and bolts of the system, but if the Mods are interested, I can put them in contact with the fellow that runs the site.

This is the Library on my "other" forum. It's nice because it focuses on North Carolina woodworkers and we're able to get together fairly regularly. The Library is not another forum. I don't understand the nuts and bolts of the system, but if the Mods are interested, I can put them in contact with the fellow that runs the site.

uugh ed on my puter it just goes to really nice side board:dunno:

One easy to help find the threads is to put "Project" in the title... (Title can be edited on older threads)...Members can then search for the word "Project" in only the title throughout all the forums, or in individual sub-forums.

Ed,

Thanks for the link... The NCW forum is using the latest upgrade of vBulletin, 3.7, which has a lot of new features. 3.7 is the last in the "3.X" version of vB, and the team is working on 4.0 now. I'll bring the upgrade subject up in the Admin forum , but we might want to use the "Project" title search solution until 4.0 comes out.

hey your the one of the head cheezzs so do as you think best you have so far

Larry, I am just an elected moderator, remember this is member run and that is who has the final say. What I said is just Jeff's opinion. Members have the final say.

I do like the Sticky Idea with link in it. Shouldn't be a big deal to keep up but .... you know how things like that fall by the way side. I think that Gregs Idea is a good one. Then you can simple use Search for the word " Project "

Hi Toni:wave:,
Thanks for these great ideas! The input of the others help to hone the plan. We do have a fine group of talented folks and inquisitive new comers. Ideas and action are essential.
Thanks,
Shaz :)

Last edited:
Now that I see it, I like it Ed. The problem comes with who keeps it up to date? My experience is that projects like that always seem to fall by the wayside. They get started and the 'project leader' is all gun-ho and then interest falls and it falls behind and becomes a mess.

People are better of volunteering and no so good at following through. But I do like the idea.

I agree with the utility of seeing a project go from idea to completed work. That's why I'm keeping my progress on the paperback organizer in one thread even though I started it in Designs and Planning.

Well guys...
I was not asking specifically for the creation of another forum, I know that we have too many and some of them underused, that was the only way I found to explain my idea.

Again I'm not computer proficient at all, I don't even know what on earth is a "sticky" and how to use it.

So please bear with me and my ignorance. I hope that I conveyed the idea clearly enough and I see that there have been great improvement suggestions on it.

Well guys...
I was not asking specifically for the creation of another forum, I know that we have too many and some of them underused, that was the only way I found to explain my idea.

Again I'm not computer proficient at all, I don't even know what on earth is a "sticky" and how to use it.

So please bear with me and my ignorance. I hope that I conveyed the idea clearly enough and I see that there have been great improvement suggestions on it.

Toni,
A Sticky is simply a thread which is 'always' at the top of the particular thread list. We 'Stick' it up there and all of the other threads drop below it.

Toni,
A Sticky is simply a thread which is 'always' at the top of the particular thread list. We 'Stick' it up there and all of the other threads drop below it.

Thanks Ned, I've should have asked before.:doh: Now that I know it I think that Jeff's idea is the easiest and quickest to implement, but wouldn't that clutter the first page,(and maybe further ones) of the forums?

Users would get mad in having to go through, let's say two pages of projects until they found the first non project thread, although the "new post" would take them directly to those.:dunno:

I think that we have to look at all the implications and evaluate them all if we want to make something that is really useful to all members.

Let's stir up some more comments...