Metalworking chuck conversion

I was wondering how I might convert a 3 jaw metalworking chuck to a woodworking chuck. The jaws are pointed and grab very little of the wood. It is a nice old and heavy chuck so I would like to use it if possible. Does anyone have any ideas?

Hi Curtis

Depends what you want to do, turn large bowls, I'd suggest you NOT use it, do smaller things like pepper mills, wine stoppers, etc, I think you could use it easily.

From what I understand, and if I'm wrong, I'm confident someone will correct me, one of the bigger problems with the metal working chucks is that they are often real knuckle busters, the jaws hang out a lot more than a woodworking chuck :dunno:

If you own it and it fits your lathe, give it a whirl, just take precautions, make sure you keep your fingers and tools away from any sticking out bits.

Cheers! :wave:

Hi Curtis

Depends what you want to do, turn large bowls, I'd suggest you NOT use it, do smaller things like pepper mills, wine stoppers, etc, I think you could use it easily.

From what I understand, and if I'm wrong, I'm confident someone will correct me, one of the bigger problems with the metal working chucks is that they are often real knuckle busters, the jaws hang out a lot more than a woodworking chuck :dunno:

If you own it and it fits your lathe, give it a whirl, just take precautions, make sure you keep your fingers and tools away from any sticking out bits.

Cheers! :wave:
And also often not designed to be spun at high speeds.
Garry

The "knuckle-buster" comment was not an exaggeration. These things can be very dangerous. Plus, I have found they just do not hold wood well, pieces fly out with little coaxing. And, repositioning perfectly is impossible, unlike a four-jaw designed for wood. I now use this one only for making some small brass items and modifying steel rods occasionally. Try to visualize those jaws spinning and whacking yer knuckles. Scary. :eek:

Attachments

• 3 jaw.jpg
    3 jaw.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 17
I worked many times on a metal lathe with this kind of chucks, my advice, don't use this chuck for a woodturning lathe, it's really very dangerous.
Ad :(

One more question before I abandon this idea. Is it possible to replace the jaws with woodworking jaws? I am not sure the "threads" will match.

One more question before I abandon this idea. Is it possible to replace the jaws with woodworking jaws? I am not sure the "threads" will match.

No. On most chucks, the jaws are fitted to the chuck body. In fact, on the one I illustrated, you must put the jaws into the same slots as originally fitted at the factory. Sorry, wish we could help you do this in the cheap but it is usually not the way to go.