To those who missed it.

larry merlau

there is a thread in the member forum that seems to be hidden sorta, it doesnt come up on the todays post sorting feature and i feel it should. it was started by shaz and asks for help. actually he is asking the whole forum to voice an opinion of what could help the forum grow or be better than it is now,, i am not saying that it is bad just that nothing is perfect and we all shold voice out thoughts to make this forum and have it continue to be one of the best. so if the head cheezes could put a sticky on it or someother methode to allow it to show up front and proud i would appreciate it.. i have talked with shaz on this and so i am not trying to take anything away from shaz thread ust feel it deserves alittle more recognition.. thanks a happy family member:D:thumb:

actually he is asking the whole forum to voice an opinion of what could help the forum grow or be better than it is now,, i am not saying that it is bad just that nothing is perfect and we all shold voice out thoughts to make this forum and have it continue to be one of the best. thanks a happy family member:D:thumb:

Hi Larry :wave:,
Thanks for bringing this up. You are "right on" with my intentions.

I get concerned when someone makes or does something that they think is worthy of sharing ( I believe that is what threads are, a sharing so to speak.)

"Just my thoughts on this one". When many folks view a thead without comment it hurts the feelings of the person sharing that thread and maybe they hold back making a reply on someone elses thread, thus the lack of input perpetuates itself, causing intangible damage rather than encouragement within the body itself.

Encouragement is a free gift you can give, or you can hold it back. I may be wrong but firmly believe words like............

Thanks,
That's interesting,
Can't see a value for me but nice of you to go to the trouble to share it here.
Or
That would work for me but I need to modify the shape.
Do you like it?
Did you have much trouble with the weight?
Were you hurt when the spiny thing blew up?

.........when posted in a thread can only help to build up the entire forum/family/relationship and feeeling of good will amongst the members.

Recognition given to a person's thread may stimulate them to respond to another's thread and, in turn, to that one you may post, hoping for some valuable feedback, or at least recognition that you did something you thought was worth sharing here.
I firmly believe in the pictures of the project and too, comments of encouragements by the viewers. Both lead to a healthy and vibrant community, In My Honest Opinion.(IMHO)
What do you think?
Shaz :)

Shaz, Larry and everyone else, you are all right, we need, want more involvement from everyone. I AM one of the lurkers, I read most every posting, and enjoy them all. I am checking in many times a day. There is an amazing amount of talent here and I learn from all. The only one of any of you I personally know is Mr. Larry, and those of you who hasn't had the pleasure of meeting him, I only wish and hope that you have the oppertunity to meet him, quite the guy! I know I am one of the beginner wood workers here and really enjoy seeing what everyone creates from turning to flat work, of what I do (flat that is). But it is time for more envolvment from lurkers like me. I know that I can not give much advise compaired to many, but I will do my best, if nothing else but kudos :thumb:.
So Kudo's :thumb: to everyone here for making this such a great place to visit and enjoy on a daily basis. So look for my name a little more that before, and thanks again to the family for excepting beginners like me .

Tom

Missed It

Hi Larry and Shaz
Sorry I missed the link to Shaz's post? I agree with Shaz that if a quality post has many views, it should get more comments and credits.

I can offer that this forum is welcoming, responsive and the moderators do a good job, moving, notifying and engaging in forum activities, compared to many other forums that have this missing.
There will always be lurkers, as search engines can find and direct many to this site. Conversion happens only when they have a burning issue, or are inspired by a certain thread.
Off topic is a hoot, and gives this forum some sparkle, though it can cross the line, at times.
My 2 cents, (2 cents is not worth as much as it used to eh?)
Cheers
Irv

Hi Larry :wave:,
Thanks for bringing this up. You are "right on" with my intentions.

I get concerned when someone makes or does something that they think is worthy of sharing ( I believe that is what threads are, a sharing so to speak.)

"Just my thoughts on this one". When many folks view a thead without comment it hurts the feelings of the person sharing that thread and maybe they hold back making a reply on someone elses thread, thus the lack of input perpetuates itself, causing intangible damage rather than encouragement within the body itself.

Encouragement is a free gift you can give, or you can hold it back. I may be wrong but firmly believe words like............

Thanks,
That's interesting,
Can't see a value for me but nice of you to go to the trouble to share it here.
Or
That would work for me but I need to modify the shape.
Do you like it?
Did you have much trouble with the weight?
Were you hurt when the spiny thing blew up?

.........when posted in a thread can only help to build up the entire forum/family/relationship and feeeling of good will amongst the members.

Recognition given to a person's thread may stimulate them to respond to another's thread and, in turn, to that one you may post, hoping for some valuable feedback, or at least recognition that you did something you thought was worth sharing here.
I firmly believe in the pictures of the project and too, comments of encouragements by the viewers. Both lead to a healthy and vibrant community, In My Honest Opinion.(IMHO)
What do you think?
Shaz :)

You are absolutely right Shaz! Speaking about myself; when I joined this forum I was happily surprised of the warm welcome that everybody gave me.
I was even more, when asking severel questions I got so many good answers and tips.
And when after hesitating about posting a project of mine,( I was shy about it due to the great quality of jobs that some members post) I did it, I got nothing else but positive input and good constructive criticism.

Soon I learned what I had to do if I wanted keep this going, and it is what you just pointed out.

Another thing that I believe makes this forum different is the fact that we use our real names, and that in a way prevents those bad intentioned lurkers that hide behind a nickname to feel at ease here.

theres a big difference reading something from an instruction booklet, a set of plans, or having a salesman who really isnt interested trying to explain something to you. Although someone like me could wear out their welcome here very quick with the questions, I find it so much easier to move on with problems Ive encountered when I could just post a question and someone with 30 years more experience offers a response. (only someone really stupid would not take advantage of someones experience when offered in sincerity)
I know someone like me cant offer much as far as experience goes, but a place like this holds mucho value for someone like me.
Problems that might seem simple to someone who has handled tools for 30 years sometimes are not that easily seen by beginners, and reading one post might change a bad habit right away,or seeing someone else handle a problem that I thought was too challenging, and that to me is something that brings alot of value here and I would always like the group here to know I truly appreciate their input, I cant thank some of you guys(and gals) enough.

There is so much life experience here, it is a shame not to share what you personally can bring to the table.

Let us make a list of "things we can share"

#1 Advise
#2 Links
#3 Research
#4 Pictures
#5 Ideas
#6 Encouragment
#6 A. Thanks
#7 Friendship
#8 Condolence
#9 Critiques
#10 Laughs
#11 Observations
#12 Foreign phrases and definitions
#13 Questions
#14 Validation
#15 Brussel Spouts :eek::rofl:
And the list goes on... add to it! Tom brings Kudos:thumb::)\
Shaz :):)

Oh Oh And a Simile:):D:thumb::rolleyes:;):wave::dunno::rofl: or two:rolleyes:

Great Thread

I think you guys are on to something here. Being as new to the site as I am I'm having no problem finding new pics, interesting and informative reads. I have not, however, been able to really get a grip on the site map. Still unsure how when or where to start a thread, ie, would I be starting it in the wrong place, would the subject be cutting someone else similar thread short on possible responses. These questions plus ignorance about how to build my own home page to refer you guys to pics I would like to share. Admittedly, I'm not the most computer savvy but consider myself of at least average intelligence and these things make me wonder if similar issues lead others to join and never make a post, never fill in demographics and as I've noticed in the member list, never come back. Just thoughts / brainstorming on barriers to becoming, active, memeber instead of a lurker or never come backer.

Last edited:
I think you guys are on to something here. Being as new to the site as I am I'm having no problem finding new pics, interesting and informative reads. I have not, however, been able to really get a grip on the site map. Still unsure how when or where to start a thread, ie, would I be starting it in the wrong place, would the subject be cutting someone else similar thread short on possible responses. These questions plus ignorance about how to build my own home page to refer you guys to pics I would like to share. Admittedly, I'm not the most computer savvy but consider myself of at least average intelligence and these things make me wonder if similar issues lead others to join and never make a post, never fill in demographics and as I've noticed in the member list, never come back. Just thoughts / brainstorming on barriers to becoming, active, memeber instead of a lurker or never come backer.

ken any questions you have ,,,ASK and the thread making part isnt rocket science althoguh it looks like it sometimes. there are many on here that can help with thread making part if your shy just pm them and ask in private.. i do it al the time or evryone wopuld know how ignornatt i am:D:thumb:

Just jumping in?

Thanks Larry, I had little doubt there would be offers to help me following my last post. And I will count on you cuz I know I can. But the real purpose of the post was to see if it was just me, am I just missing it? Is there someplace that really explains to the newcomers how to participate. Does anyone else see the need?