Belsaw 910

Saturday I drove 90 miles to Indy and picked up a Belsaw 910 planer/molder/saw complete with factory stand and all the dirty paper including the bill of sale, dated 4/13/78. The man bought it new and was selling it because of health reasons. It even had 4 unused sets of molding knives. It is powered by a 3 hp 220 single phase Century motor that seems to weigh as much as I do. He plugged it in and powered it up and I was sold. Price was $295. Now I have to dig out a place for it in the garage and get the electrician to finish wiring up the 220.

sweet deal

that will make alot moulding there goerge and the knives are an added plus. so as soon as you get her up and running be sure to let us see her in lights....hint we need pics:D:thumb:

Hey George does you planer look as little like this?

Picture 1 is the front of the owners manual.

Picture 2 is my planer which used to be my Dad's.

Picture 3 is what I did to prepare the planer for dust collection. This shield on the opposite side of the cutter head from the factory shield to contain the chips as close to the cutter head as possible if they get any further away from the head you won't collect them.

Attachments

• A1 myshop 061.jpg
    A1 myshop 061.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 143
  • planer.jpg
    planer.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 202
  • planer 2.jpg
    planer 2.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 152
Picture #1 is it. I'm going to use the Belsaw to create some baseboard moldings from white oak for a 100 year old house. The original baseboard was 7 1/2" tall. I made some 3/4 stock 5 1/2" wide and now I will mill a 2" piece to cap it with. The ceilings are 8 1/2' tall and I would like to make some larger crown molding for the downstairs.

Belsaw

I know I need a guide system for it. I am considering buying it from Belsaw as the cost is reasonable. I have the saw system with it but I don't plan on using it. I know that a 5 horse motor will power it better but that 3 horse Century just purred when he powered it up and I think that it will be more than adequate for molding purposes. Belsaw even sells a drum sanding kit for this thing. You can even get a new feed drive sprocket to increase the feed from 12 fpm to 20 fpm. However I think that with an increased feed rate I would have to upgrade the motor to 5 H.P.