Some Turnings

Cody Colston

The first is a Pine HF from a block of 140 yr old heart Pine that a friend gave me. It was harder than a Woodpecker's lips and a bear to hollow. It was packed with resin, too and kept clogging the flute on my 3/8" bowl gouge. It's 6 1/4" x 3 1/4" and finished with Mylands.

The second is another spalted Red Elm HF, 5 1/2" x 4 1/4", shellac seal coat and Beall buffed.

Last, a vase from Aromatic Cedar. 7 1/2" x 4" finished with Mylands. I copied the design from one LOML uses for cut flowers.

Thanks for looking. Comments, critiques and apathy all welcomed.

Attachments

• Pine HF 1.jpg
    Pine HF 1.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 40
  • Pine HF2.jpg
    Pine HF2.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 29
  • Elm HF 1.jpg
    Elm HF 1.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 39
  • Elm HF 2.jpg
    Elm HF 2.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 27
  • Vase 1.jpg
    Vase 1.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 31
  • Vase 2.jpg
    Vase 2.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 12
Nice work Cody! :thumb:

My favorite is the last two pictures. I like the tall ones. ;)

DT

Thanks guys. The kudos are always much appreciated.

Vaughn,

You may have noticed in the second spalted Elm picture that there is a lot more going on than first glance reveals. If you look closely, you see, of course, the spalting but also the chevron-shaped figure common to Elm and finally the grain rings that correspond to the shape of the vessel. It looks nearly 3-D if stared at enough.

I'd really like to take credit for designing that into the form but actually it was purely by chance. Sometimes we get lucky, don't we? ;)

Hi Cody

Super nice work! Are these gifts, keepers, for sale? Can only imagine how hard the pine was, at 140 yrs old, must have smelled like a turpentine bottle and a good thing no sparks, heh? Even though I've very limited experience turning and thus far only between centers, I'm surprised th knot stayed with you- any special technique other than holding your mouth just right? lol. The spalted red elm has some of the most unique figuring I think I have ever seen in any piece of wood shaped in any form, quite remarkable. Now, the aromatic cedar is none to shabby either. Cedar was one of the first woods I used to make a project from other than pine shelving, pine 1x4's and 2x4's. The lighter grain in your pieces has that buttery look that I think contrasts the pink tones so well in cedar as compared to the lighter almost white sapwood frequently seen. I really like all three...good job.

Kenneth,

I have ambitions of doing a show some day and selling some turnings. If they don't sell, then I will likely do what I've always done...give most of them away after LOML picks through them. :)

You are right about that Pine smelling like Turpentine. Actually, it had an almost mediciney smell to it, very pungent...quite unlike any Pine I've ever encountered. The shop still smells like Pine. It's a very pleasant smell now, though.

The only thing I did when turning it was persevere! Like I said, it kept clogging the flute on my bowl gouge while shaping the outside and the tenon broke off twice while hollowing it. I ended up gluing a piece of Mesquite onto the bottom so I could finish hollowing it.

I also kept getting taller while working on it because the pine chips (no curls) were so resin-filled that they kept clumping up on the bottoms of my shoes. I had to scrape it off like south Mississippi gumbo! :D

Anyway, thanks a bunch for the kind comments.

Cody - very nice work on all three pieces!

I really like the contemporary style of the pine form! Beautiful grain pattern and color!

The spalted elm is my favorite mainly because of the shape but also the fantastic wood! You did well bringing out all this piece has to offer! Exceptionally nice work!

The cedar vase is also very nice but the elm stills stands out - to me!

Again, very nice work! Looking forward to seeing what you turn next! You really are getting these hollow forms down!

I'm going to also go with the Elm as my favorite, but the other two are sure close, that pine, wow, what grain, and I do like the shape, and the story that goes with it is great too :thumb:

Cody I have to agree with Toni I like them all, but the pine really sticks out with the flowing nature of the grain. The old pine looks so nice, I am bias my house is done in 1X12 pine 70 years old. Even has an arch of birdseye pine. My folks had an antique business, neither Dad or I had ever seen birdeye pine. The builders saved it all for the arch and a pine dresser in one of the bathrooms. I just have a soft spot for pine I guess, very nice work, you guys really give me a new level to strive for....Bruce:thumb: