Been there, done that - Fall Mountain Lookout

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
Many of you know I was on the way out for a 3 night stay in a Forest Service lookout tower this past week. Well, we made it back - minus a pint or two of hemoglobin - lots of mosquitoes!:eek:

The tower is located about 11 miles south of John Day, OR, then about 6 miles west (road miles, not air) up into the mountains. It sits upon an 18' high timber frame at about 5,300'. There are 30 steep steps to carry up all the gear :eek: - including all the water you need for 3 days.

For those of you who are interested, (like Larry:D) here is a link to the pictures I took while there. You will need to install a "presenter program", but it is both small and safe.

Enjoy! And - as always - your opinions, comments, praise, and criticisms are welcome.

Last edited:
Boy was that well done! :clap:

Loved the "Moon Rise"

What were the blue flowers at the beginning, they sure where blue! :huh:

Looks like you had electricity at this camp, no?

Yep, that would sure recharge the batteries!

Thanks for sharing! :wave:

Boy was that well done! :clap:

Loved the "Moon Rise"

What were the blue flowers at the beginning, they sure where blue! :huh:

Looks like you had electricity at this camp, no?

Yep, that would sure recharge the batteries!

Thanks for sharing! :wave:
I'll have to do some research on the blue flowers - they're probably some noxious weed!:rofl::rofl:

Yes - we had electricity! And since we were about 100' from the tower, great cell phone service too :eek::(. Fortunately, most of our friends knew we were "out of range" so didn't even try to reach us :rofl:. It was nice to keep an eye on the weather reports via the internet/cell phone.:D

Funny story, first time we went to Canada, my wife and I, with my eldest daughter, we went to my uncle Mel's cabin, and we stayed there overnight. My lovely Tokyo born and raised wife could not believe how NOISY it was out in the woods at night, she was looking for some ear plugs :D :rofl:

For me, it was a splendid white noise kind of thing, the sound of the wind in the trees, etc was just rocking me to sleep.

How was it up there, I imagine up top of a hill like that, you would get some wind?

Cheers!

Funny story, first time we went to Canada, my wife and I, with my eldest daughter, we went to my uncle Mel's cabin, and we stayed there overnight. My lovely Tokyo born and raised wife could not believe how NOISY it was out in the woods at night, she was looking for some ear plugs :D :rofl:

For me, it was a splendid white noise kind of thing, the sound of the wind in the trees, etc was just rocking me to sleep.

How was it up there, I imagine up top of a hill like that, you would get some wind?

Cheers!
Every night was windy - one was REALLY windy! The tower is at the top of a mountain that sits at the end of a valley - so the wind comes up the valley and compresses, gaining speed, as it approaches the tower. We could hear it, and see it in the trees, but the tower was rock solid.

Your story reminds me of being at my dad's place in upstate NY. In the summer the 'peepers' were so loud at a pond just outside his back door that you could not hold a conversation without yelling!:eek::rofl::rofl:

"What were the blue flowers at the beginning, they sure where blue!"

Hard to tell without seeing the leaves, first thought was shooting stars, but if I had to bet, I'd wager mountain columbine.

Great pics, Rennie. Nice spot to spend a week! We should all be so lucky! ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Very impressive presentation. I really like the Photodex stuff. The pics are nothing to sneeze at, either. :D Looks like a great place to go lose yourself for a few days. I'm envious.

hmmm... changed my mind... now I'm voting for larkspur... ;)

Thanks,

Bill
You might be right :D
Low-Larkspur_3.jpg

Beautiful photography and presentation. Very interesting place to stay. Don't believe it would be my 'thang' but, each to his own. You both look happy and relaxed so the trip must have been a success.
BTW: Is your dog named 'Phantom' ?

Beautiful photography and presentation. Very interesting place to stay. Don't believe it would be my 'thang' but, each to his own. You both look happy and relaxed so the trip must have been a success.
BTW: Is your dog named 'Phantom' ?
Thanks Frank! You certainly can't beat waking up to see a beautiful sunrise, and not having to get out of bed to see it!:D Ditto for the sunset, but you do have to roll over:rofl:

His name is Lokai - named for a Star Trek (original series) character with similar coloring.:eek:

Rennie, Thanks for sharing the great images! Man, am I jealous, I love those kinds of getaways to nature. Bet your dog loved it too, I know ours would. But for some odd reason, I now have a craving for granola, Think I'll go eat breakfast:D

Rennie, Thanks for sharing the great images! Man, am I jealous, I love those kinds of getaways to nature. Bet your dog loved it too, I know ours would. But for some odd reason, I now have a craving for granola, Think I'll go eat breakfast:D
Hi Barry!

Our dog, Loaki, paniced the first time up the stairs and I nearly had to push him down the first time. He had never seen stairs before! By the third day he was going up and down on his own.:dunno:

Enjoy your granola!:rofl:

Thanks Frank! You certainly can't beat waking up to see a beautiful sunrise, and not having to get out of bed to see it!:D Ditto for the sunset, but you do have to roll over:rofl:

His name is Lokai - named for a Star Trek (original series) character with similar coloring.:eek:

I should talk. Finally scraped together some funds and am taking wifey on a cruise to celebrate our 43rd anniversary (last week). We will be on a big boat in the middle of a big water. Dunno wat ah'll do ifn I wants to take long walk in the woods. :rolleyes:
Actually, I could enjoy the fire tower thing if I was alone. Just bring a laptop and spend most of my time writing without distractions.
Glad you enjoyed. Getting away, sometimes doesn't matter where, is important.

Hi there.

Can anyone tell me what on earth I need to do to see Rennie's pics?,
I've downloaded the viewer, installed it but nothing happens, I only see a black screen:soapbox:

If your comments were of dislike I wouldn't mind. But as they are so positive I also want to see them.