Mesquite bowl, new photo tent

Here's a mesquite bowl turned recently; 12.5" x 5.5". It was from a 'found by the side of the road' tree. It was an urban landscape tree cut down to accomodate road widening. It is Chilean Mesquite, and as you can see by the growth rings, it was well watered. I styled it after an old crock bowl my mom used when I was a kid, in other words, utilitarian. I mean for this bowl to be used as a bowl, so I left the sides a good 3/8" thick or so.
This is also my first shot at using a light tent I cobbled together. I wanted to make it so it colasped for storage, so it's 2 square frames conected with dowels. it makes a 32" cube. I threw an old sheet over it, put it under the skylight in our kitchen and was in business. The background is a sheet of light-gray matting.

The light was not quite right though. Need to get a couple of lights to place on the sides. For you that have experience with this, will any lights work? Any suggestions for a cheap solution? Have a great woodworking day! Barry

Attachments

• mesquite1.jpg
    mesquite1.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 49
  • mesquite2.jpg
    mesquite2.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 40
  • photo tent1.jpg
    photo tent1.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 34
  • photo tent2.jpg
    photo tent2.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 21
Barry - really like your bowl! Great form, size and color! I like the detail ridge just before the rim - nice touch!

Photo tent looks good and obviously works quite well! Photos look natural, good focus and shadow control!

Barry, very good looking bowl, good pictures too, so your photo tent works well, side lights work well too.
Ad :thumb:

Great job Barry. I like the crockery bowl look. (My grandma had some of the same.)

I've got a large cheapie photo tent that has a flimsy spring frame. I may borrow some of your ideas for stiffening the frame.
...I think you want the 6000K lights :huh: :dunno:

Cheers!
I'd recommend 5000K to 5500K. That's closer to the range of daylight. Barry, a lot of us are using the screw-in compact fluorescent bulbs. You may have to shop around a bit to find 5000K to 5500K lights, but it's worth the effort.