just how bad is Vista?

One other point: if someone's main issue with Vista is possible incompatibility with existing peripherals and applications, I hardly think "buy a Mac" qualifies as a solution.:eek:

One other point: if someone's main issue with Vista is possible incompatibility with existing peripherals and applications, I hardly think "buy a Mac" qualifies as a solution.:eek:

Well, I've not bought a Mac....... yet........ but I think that nearly all the printers, scanners, digital camera's etc came with either two disks, one for PC and one for Mac, or a "Hybrid" disk with software for both :dunno:

For me, the thing about Mac that appeals to me is that it is NOT Windows, I also think that most everything do so with Mac is backwards compatible, and Apple still supports the older operating systems, I could be wrong :dunno:

Cheers!

Well, I've not bought a Mac....... yet........ but I think that nearly all the printers, scanners, digital camera's etc came with either two disks, one for PC and one for Mac, or a "Hybrid" disk with software for both :dunno:
True, assuming you're not like me and either toss the Mac disks or use them for coasters.:rofl:

I considered a MacBook when I "refreshed" my laptop earlier this year, but a lot of the standalone apps I use either don't have a Mac version, the Mac version is substantially different/file-incompatible (and inferior, in some cases), or you can't upgrade from the PC version to the Mac version easily/cheaply. Without spending a lot of extra money on software, it was going to end up being strictly a browser-and-email appliance, at a substantially higher purchase price.

For me, the thing about Mac that appeals to me is that it is NOT Windows.
And for you, the Mac may be a reasonable option. For a lot of people, going to a Mac is basically starting over from scratch, with no particular perceived benefit..."better the devil you know" etc.

True, assuming you're not like me and either toss the Mac disks or use them for coasters.:rofl:

I considered a MacBook when I "refreshed" my laptop earlier this year, but a lot of the standalone apps I use either don't have a Mac version, the Mac version is substantially different/file-incompatible (and inferior, in some cases), or you can't upgrade from the PC version to the Mac version easily/cheaply. Without spending a lot of extra money on software, it was going to end up being strictly a browser-and-email appliance, at a substantially higher purchase price.

And for you, the Mac may be a reasonable option. For a lot of people, going to a Mac is basically starting over from scratch, with no particular perceived benefit..."better the devil you know" etc.

I can get every program I need on the Mac, that I can get on the PC, heck, you can get MS Word on Mac now :dunno:

Not for all, true, but I would not mind starting over with Mac, I'm getting really, REALLY bored with all the stuff you have to put up with PC...... :bang:

I can get every program I need on the Mac, that I can get on the PC, heck, you can get MS Word on Mac now :dunno:
With rare exceptions, that is true...but it doesn't necessarily mean the Mac version (1) is free/cheap just because you already own the PC version or (2) works exactly the same as the PC version you're already used to. (IIRC, MSWord has both those problems.)

Some software I use, you can't even "side-grade" from the PC version to the Mac version: you have to buy the full Mac version. Another deal-breaker for me was Quicken: the program was cheap, but converting PC Quicken data files to work with the Mac version actually requires more manual labor than starting from scratch with some other program.

I'm getting really, REALLY bored with all the stuff you have to put up with PC.
That's the point where I seem to disconnect with most Mac proponents. Maybe I'm unusual, but I just don't seem to have any of the "common" PC/Windows issues, to the point where I just can't tell how much of the noise out there is real and how much is "squeeky wheel syndrome".

Plus I have an extremely low tolerance for the kind of...um, what's a polite way to phrase this...evangelistic fervor that surrounds the whole Apple "culture": got bored with that back before Macs were even invented. (It's actually not as bad as it used to be. I suspect a lot of the more rabid cultists have moved on to Linux. Or died. Whatever.)

"Maybe I'm unusual, but I just don't seem to have any of the "common" PC/Windows issues, to the point where I just can't tell how much of the noise out there is real and how much is "squeeky wheel syndrome"."

Lee,

You're not unusual. People would sing a different tune if they had to support 2,500 computers, and over a hundred servers, using all four of the major operating systems (win, mac, linux, and unix). Believe me, under those conditions, the "tastes great / less filling" arguments get old real fast, no matter how squeeky the wheel... ;)

Impressions and anecdotal evidence ("my friend has one, and he likes it") weigh much heavier in home computing decisions than in a professional context. I guess people are just willing to shell out a lot more on hardware and software to support their home computing decision. In a wierd way, it may even make sense. After all, did I really need a festool saw? Of course not. Did it make economic sense? Certainly not. Do replacement blades cost way more to accomplish the same task? oh, my goodness... ;)

What's odd to me is the mythology and the animosity. One doesn't see anything like that in the tool world, except, of course, the people who reject grizzly... ;)

Thanks,

Bill

I believe that if people aren't complaining about what you are doing, that means you aren't doing anything. MS and Bill Gates didn't get where they are by doing nothing or being shoddy. I get frustrated with a lot of MS 'stuff' too. I still rankle at clicking "start" to stop or scrolling down to go up. I'm sure the true geeks have a lot more to rankle at. But, there is a reason why something like 95% of all computers in the world are pc based and running on MS software. I avoid Mac for several reasons. One, as previously mentioned, there seems to be a cult fervor surrounding it. So, for the same reason I don't wear a nose ring, I avoid it. Also, cost and the concern some software won't work that I want to use. It is still the odd man out as far as I'm concerned.

I have to say I've been considering a MACbook for my/our next purchase. I have been using a HP since '02 that was purchased at CC for less than 6 bills. It has been great, it had XP on it, pain, until SP2 came along. Has worked flawlessly since.

But it's a constant fight for bugs and such. My SIL has been in the MAC "cult" for the last 4 years. He loves it, course he's a Philosophy grad....:huh: Says no bug problem and for what I do with my 'puter, MAC would be fine. But he says he undersatnds how hard it is to be weaned off pc....:bang:

When XP came out it was a pain. Appears Vista will be the same and whatever os that MS comes out with in a few years will also be a pain. As I understand it, MS is really pushing it with each new os they come out with. That's why they are some long between offerings.

Internet, music and a decent word processer and I'm good to go...:thumb:

Jimmy

For me, the thing about Mac that appeals to me is that it is NOT Windows,

Cheers!

Hey the same reason I like LINUX :D

I have to say I've been considering a MACbook for my/our next purchase.Jimmy

Too much money for this kid
But it's a constant fight for bugs and such.
Thats why I like LINUX

Internet, music and a decent word processer and I'm good to go...:thumb:

Linux will do all that and its free