Turner's Smock

I know a number of people that use a smock, they don't use it all the time but use it none-the-less. As for the price, thats probably more of a personal question and justification (basically as is any purchase).

I don't have one, but I want one, badly, I hate getting those little chips down my shirt and then having them make me itchy all day :(

I showed my wife about 6 months ago, she saw the price and said "Oh heck, I can make that for a lot less........" :rolleyes:

Yep, you guessed it, I still don't have one:eek:

Whenever she brings up the "Honey to do list" I mention the turning smock :thumb:

Might just have to buy a cheap windbreaker and put it on backwards :rofl:

Cheers!

I have been looking around for a smock for a little while now. I ended up with a nylon windbreaker type jacket purchased from a thrift shop.

I like the looks of the one in your linky, Tony. Maybe, someday.

Stu,

It's my part time job uniform...seasonal worker, ya know...:rofl:

I could pick one up at Woodcraft/Rockler, and send it to ya... Surface mail is cheap!:thumb:

(I mean a "real" smock, Stu)

Last edited:
I wear a standard shop smock in cooler weather. To keep chips from going on my clothes and down my shirt, I use a full-face mask and have taped about an 18" length of plastic to the bottom that hangs down. Had wife take a picture of me wearing it. But it looked like something from outer space, I must had discarded it otherwise I was going to torture y'all by posting it here.

I bought one at the Woodworking show. Everytime I get on the lathe I use it so it's worth it to me. I went with a short sleeve version since my shop is in the basement and the temp if fairly regulated. Someone told me the long sleeved ones were a little hot, but they like not getting chips stuck in their arm hairs. If you are interested in who sells it I can look in up tonight.

I have 2, and wear one every time I turn. It sure helps to keep the noodles out of your shirt, and other places they seem to find a home. :eek: ;)

I have the Packard style smock, like you see Bill Grumbine wearing during his demo's. Here is a link to that one:

Packard style smock

(The shoe covers are excellent too, and they sure keep the noodles out of your shoes, shoestrings, and your socks, if you are wearing shorts.)

Here is another one I bought at Arrowmont School for Arts and Crafts in Gatlinburg, TN. I like it too. It is similar to this one Here

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine is from Craft Supplies. It's their lightweight model. I would post a pick of me wearing it but that wouldn't help peoples eyes. :eek: Linky here.

209-2038.jpg

There are Good turning smocks out there, like the one shown, however, when I was looking, I went to a uniform shop and found a "Clean Room" coat that works very well keeping chips, etc. from getting on me. It has snaps down the front with two velcro closers at the neck and long sleeves with knitted cuffs. The only drawback is that I have to clean out the two pockets on the front, when they get full. The turners smock , I believe, has a pocket in the back, similar to a "game pouch" on a hunters jacket. Mine Cost $35.00 about two years ago.

Just a little more information.
Bruce
BTW I use mine ALL the time! (also keeps finish off good clothes when I get too much on a piece and start the lathe) The same goes for a FACE SHIELD.