Best blades for a Woodmaster Model 725?

David Cherry

First of all, Hello. I just found this site and I think I'll be spending a bit of time here learning :)

I have the Woodmaster Model 725 molder/planer and use it semi commercially.

My problem is that Im not happy with some of the blades that they sell. Specificly the Log Siding pattern. They dull verry fast compaired to the other blades I use to cut the lap groove on the back that I got localy at a lumber mill and they get the same ammount of footage on the same wood and they take 1/2" x 3/4" groove at 15fpm.

Im looking for better blade stock that wont dull so easy. I often run 1,000 feet of siding in a day.
Woodmaster says they are made of 5/16" M2 blade steel and I was wondering if there is anything better? I do not know about the ratings of steel yet:(

Thanks in advance :D

Hi David :wave: Welcome to the forum.:thumb:

Seems like quite a machine, from the info I've seen. Have you given any thought to the optional spiral head? Don't have any other suggestions for you...:eek:

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Optional Spiral Cutter Head provides the cleanest, smoothest planing in the industry…indexable carbide inserts are sharp on all four sides. When wear occurs, simply rotate the insert to expose a fresh cutting edge.[/FONT]

Wish I could but the log siding is a curved cut, 1" at the sides to 1/16" in the middle on a 2"x8". :(

But I do plan on getting the spiral cutter for the flat plains eventually :D

Thanks for the welcome :)

woodmaster

Hi David
I don't have a woodmaster(I have a General 13" planer/moulder not run much). What wood are you running Cedar?, pine? I find the cedar dulls blades quickly, especially old hard knots. Have you looked at upgrading to logosol or others and what the specs are on their moulders?
Cheers and Welcome
Irv

Mostly western white woods. pine, hemlock, white fir and spruce. Its definately the hard knots that are dooing it, but as I said the other blades I got from the local sawmill go thrue the same stuff and I havent needed to sharpen them once yet. Still razor sharp :)

The Logosol planers look real nice, after we get up and running more I think one or 2 of them is on my christmass lst ;)

Specs for the Woodmaster 725 are...
Max. Depth of Cut Per Pass 3/16"
Max. Width of Cut 25"
Stock Thickness range W/O Bedboard 5/16" - 7"
Shortest Planable Stock 8 - 1/2"
Variable Feed Range 0 - 23 FPM
Variable Cuts Per Inch 70 - 1000 CPI
Knife Dimensions 25 x 11/16 x 1/8"
Planer Bed with Extension Tables 25 x 49
Overall Dimensions (W x H x D) 38" x 38 - 1/2" x 49"
Planer Motor 7.5HP , 1725 RPM
AMP Requirements 40 AMP , 230 VAC
Feed Roller Motor 1/2 HP , 40 RPM
AMP Requirements 5 AMP , 115 VAC
Shipping Weight 808 lbs.

The log siding patterns are HERE I am currently using the 1-1/2" X 7-1/2"

If I get the time Ill snap a fiew pics today of the blades and planer :)

woodmaster

Thanks for info on woodmaster, if you get a logosol for Christmas, keep me in mind for your woodmaster to replace my general. I'm on the upstream end of the Columbia River.
I would like to run some t&g projects, occasionally.

Attachments

• columbia river.jpg
    columbia river.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 4
The only drawback they have on t&g is that you cant do anything over 7" wide. eg 2x6 or 1x6 t&g max unless you use routers, then the planer is just the feeder. Unfortunately If I do get a logosol I'll still keep the woodmaster till its dead :) the ripsaw capabilities alone are worth it, not to mention the drum sander.

As promised, pics of my slightly modified woodmaster 725.
1.jpg

Hinged bonnet for easy access to change blades. Stock you have to lift it off the top and takes 2 people.
5.jpg

Added electric deck adjustment.
2.jpg

Chip removal is NO problem :)
6.jpg

The knives I got locally that never seem to dull.
3.jpg

And the log siding knives that always dull like they made of play dough ;)
4.jpg

Half a days run. Had to stop a noon today to make a delivery.
7.jpg

A few of the profiles I have so far and the 8" log blades are the only ones that dull so fast.
Clipboard01.jpg

woodmaster

Nice rig David!
Thanks for images. You have some great looking profiles and wood products. You have a nice value added operation. Too bad the building market has gone sour.

Not knowing woodmaster, I wonder if they contract out separately the manufacture of log siding knives, hence perhaps you are getting a lower quality steel and finish than the other knives that are manufactured for them. I would ask and also determine if another source for log siding knives can be found. Just a thought.

Are those custom installed extras?
-Is that an electrically driven deck adjustment finetuned and calibrated, or do you manually set it?
-Lots of chips generated I'm sure, I guess chip removal system also works when sanding. Do you use or bag, and sell the chips?

Keep on chipping!
Thanks again
Irv

The building slump is not helping me get up and running, but it is starting to pick up here.

I'm not sure if they contract out their blades or not, I don't "think" so but it is possible. I have been wondering if I somehow got a hold of a bad set.

The extras are custom. The deck adjuster is actually a motor off an old hospital bed. has the up/down remote attached to the feed table in front of the machine. The feed table is actually the bed remade into a table and is fully adjustable height too. Unfortunately no, its not fine tuned. Set it manually but can be finely adjusted.

The chips we are actually trying to build a small "presto log" type making machine. Save me a lot of fire wood cutting every year if I can get it to work :)
A neighbor of mine is helping with that. He is a professional welder and also does a lot of work on heavy equipment. We are going to try a 6" chamber with a 6"-4" taper for the compression. Going to try to use a 2 stage hydraulic cylinder that will first compress the 6" pipe then the center will continue on to compress the 4".
We shall see if we can get it rigged up ;)

presto

Good luck with your presto log scheme. Very innovative hospital bed frame use as inboard table for woodmaster.
Did you keep the mattress around so you can put it back on the table adjust to be comfortable for nap time or watching the game. Do you have the hospital buzzer to call for room service?:rofl::rofl::rofl:
Cheers
Irv

David,
welcome aboard. A buddy of mine has the woodmaster, I'll ask him if he's had any problems with custom profile blades going south quickly on him.

Looks like quite the setup, and that is quite the squirrel cage on the woodmaster, is that the only tool it services?

It's been a long time since I've used them, but Ballew's Saw and Equipment Co. used to do some very fine custom ground blades for molders, etc.

They ain't cheap, but then nothing much is anymore, eh?

Did you keep the mattress around so you can put it back on the table adjust to be comfortable for nap time or watching the game.

:) hahaha, no. But I do have a small cot up in the loft just in case my wife decides I should be in the dog house for spending too much time in the shop :rolleyes:

Looks like quite the setup, and that is quite the squirrel cage on the woodmaster, is that the only tool it services?

Yep. Eventually when I get a second planer it will probably have to service both if it can :)

It's been a long time since I've used them, but Ballew's Saw and Equipment Co. used to do some very fine custom ground blades for molders, etc.

They ain't cheap, but then nothing much is anymore, eh?

Thanks, I'll check the out.
No, they aren't cheap. The last time I priced a new set of the log blades they were $700+ I believe. Woodmaster also used to charge $30 an inch for custom blades. Prolly more now :(

You might want to consider getting a VIEL profile grinder .. .. you can then buy a good grade of tool steel blank stock, and make your own knives any time you like.

You might want to consider getting a VIEL profile grinder .. .. you can then buy a good grade of tool steel blank stock, and make your own knives any time you like.

I am planning on doing something along those lines but do not know what is a good grade of tool steel.

Does any one know where I might find a list of the different grades of tool steel and reccomended applications?

Dave, I have the same beast and love it. For the knives, they are made by them. According to them they should last for around 5,000 linear feet befor needing honeing. How long are you able to use them before honeing? How many blades are you useing?This of course depends on the rate of feed, size of bite, number of blades and wood being used. So far mine has only been used for small jobs, so I can not sayt how well they hold up. I would call them up and see what can be done to fix this issue. You might have recieved a faulty set of blades.

Don't get me wrong, I love the machine. Works great for so many different things. :)

Im lucky to get 500 feet out of them running 3 blades on pine at 15 on the speed dial. :(

I am really begining to think they may be a faulty set of blades. people keep telling me that M2 blade steel should be good enough.