Next !!!

Paul Hubbman

Last night i passed on the Atlas 3020 table saw i rebuilt for a friend of mine. he's moving to a house with scant shop space and needed a smaller table saw. The Atlas was a fun rebuild - it had been given to me by a work acquaintence. He had been using it as a job site saw in his small contracting business until it tipped over backwards - when the motor hit the ground, both trunnion brackets broke (pot metal). He didn't have the heart to junk it and put it in the back of my truck one day. Through a bit of luck, i found new parts for it (the saw was made in the 1940's - needle in a haystack). I rebuilt the motor, replaced the arbor bearings, complete disassembly and de-rusting, new paint throughout, new wiring, belt, pulleys, etc. When i got it all aligned and fired it up for the first time, i was really impressed with the smooth, quiet operation. With a new blade, it cut some 1-1/2" thick hardwood like butter. THAT was satisfying.
So, we traded table saws - his old Emerson built 10" Craftsman contractor saw with outfeed table, cast iron top, and extension wings. It's earmarked for another buddy from work, along with the 4" Craftsman (King Seeley) joiner in the basement. I think i'll put a Pals kit on it first - i know these saws tend to creep out of alignment, and i know this adjustment is a pain in the keester without the Pals. It doesn't need a rebuild - just a good cleaning. I can't wait to get it out of the shop because i've got a late 1940's Delta bench top shaper needing a good once-over and a 24" late 40's Delta scroll saw in the same condition. I was quite happy with my 24" Walker Turner scroll saw, but after looking at the Delta and how it's built - well i have to choose between the two. I think the Delta might stay.
Of course, there's the 1890's Reed lathe on my bench - looking at me every time i go down into the shop. Too many "toys". I've got to cull the heard a bit. Right now i've got 3 table saws, 3 scroll saws, 2 wood lathes, 2 shapers, 2 joiners, and 2 drill presses. Most have homes already designated. I only need or want one of each. The two band saws are the exception - keeping both.
Paul Hubbman

He who dies with the most toys wins! Too many tools? No such thing. Sounds like a good rebuild. I have three Craftsman Emerson saws. One running, two for parts. I have $80 wrapped up in all three. I did buy a Mulecab fence and it cuts dead accurate so it was worth spending more on a good fence than on the saw.

Paul, I understand you situation, I tell you, if I had the space, I'd get a lot of old iron that I see here on auction, just sell for scrap, kills me to see a good old 10" jointer sell for $20 :doh:

Good luck on finding homes for all them beauties :thumb:

How can you have too many tools? There is always a airplane hanger when you out grow your current place.:D

Take pics of the rebuild as you go.