Help. Need Grinder assistance

Lee Laird

I have a Sears variable speed grinder (8" wheels) which is labeled a "Professional" unit. The issue I have is the fact that one side has a grinding wheel and the other has a wire wheel. :huh: I bought another grinding wheel with the idea of swapping out the wire wheel. The shaft doesn't seem long enough for the same washers and nut to catch the threads. :doh: Has anyone else run into this or a similar issue where they were successful in converting to two grinding wheels? If any way possible, I'd rather modify than buy another. Is there any hope??? :dunno:

Thanks everyone for taking a look and any input you may provide,

Lee, have you taken the wheel off the other side and checked the length of the spindles? If the wire brush side is indeed shorter, you might be stuck. (Unless someone makes narrower grinding wheels.) Or is there a chance you could find thinner washers?

Vaughn,

Yes, the spindle on the left side is shorter than on the right side. After I bought a new grinding wheel, I attempted to put it on the left side so I would have two different grits. The nut would almost grab the threads so the thinner washer idea or the thinner wheel might both work. I'm not sure, from a safety standpoint, how far on the nut should travel ton the spindle to really secure the wheel. I'm thinking a thinner wheel might be the only way to make sure it would hold. Thoughts??

Lee,

You want all of the threads of the nut to be engaged on the shaft. Otherwise you won't be getting the entire holding capability of the nut. A wheel coming off while you are grinding would be dangerous!

Compare the hardware to the other side. If the washers are different, that could be an issue. Also check to make sure they didn't install a spacer or something on the shaft to align the wire wheel. Then again, it really might be different--I wouldn't put it past Sears.

Ken,

Thank you for confirming my thoughts. No way I want one of the wheels coming off at speed.

Matt,

I'll take it apart again to verify the issues. I may have missed something when I attempted to install the wheel which has been about 5 months ago.

Thanks to everyone for the input.

Just a quick update. There was a spacer, behind the inside washer, that when removed allows the 1" wide grinding wheel to install properly. Too much time had lapsed since I last took the grinder apart. I appreciate everyone's querying which kicked me in the rear just enough so I could resolve the issue. You guys ROCK!