Sometimes pics yes, sometimes no??

Doug Jones

Sometimes a picture will appear on a post as in the one from Kevin G. in the Do you decorate,,,, thread.

Then sometimes a get a long rectangular box with nothing in it like the Ian G. posting.

And at other times I get nothing at all, as in Gail O. butcher block thread.

Anyone have any ideas?

Attachments

• pic showing (512 x 384).jpg
    pic showing (512 x 384).jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 10
  • box no pic (512 x 384).jpg
    box no pic (512 x 384).jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 13
  • nobox pic (512 x 384).jpg
    nobox pic (512 x 384).jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 11
Even my own post won't show up,,,,,
I wonder if its how people are posting them. With all mine, I upload it to the forum from my computer, yet others will insert an image from their own web site or from a photo hosting site.

Attachments

• my post (768 x 576).jpg
    my post (768 x 576).jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 2
Doug,

FWIW, I see all the thumbs from the attached images, and nothing but a link when you tried it from photobucket.

Others have reported this sort of issue, but it was never consistant, and I was never able to reproduce it.

I'm more than willing to help, if you can help me better diagnose the problem.

- Marty -

I'm more than willing to help, if you can help me better diagnose the problem.
- Marty -

Thanks Marty,
Must be some sort of setting on my browser(s), I have tried with both IE and Firefox, I get the same results with both browsers.

It could also be related to the "thumb nail" feature that this forum is using. As I don't have this issue on other vBulletin forums that don't use that feature.

Last edited:
If all else fails you should be able to drop a pic address between some
brackets:

TessLeahChristmasday.jpg

Tessatoocute.jpg

Last edited:
Scott,
That could be the solution,,, your pics and the last one I posted in this thread, I can see. Now if we can get everyone else to conform to my ways;) , I'll be able to see all pics.

Have you clicked on the Preview button before posting? I've heard that does something with "canceling" attachments....

I'll give it a try.

Hmmmmm work normally after "previewing" and then save.

Last edited:
Testing

OK, the above post added the attachment, but I posted, then edited and attached. With this one, I attached the pic, clicked on preview and then save and the attachment was "erased"...

Have you ever had a completely blank attachment like this?

Scott,

Embedding an image in a post "should" always display the image, but it's the least desirable way to have images posted. Images not hosted on our server may or may not be there in a few months(/years) when someone does a search and wants to read a thread. If they're hosted on our server, at least we know they'll be available...as long as our server is...;)

Doug,

I'm not sure that the problem is on your side, although having it work for everyone else sure makes me think that way. The fact that others have reported, as have you, that this problem doesn't exist with other vbulletin run sites is a good reason to think it's something in our settings.

Keep plugging away at your testing. The more info you can supply, the better chance we have of getting this solved.

Thanks...
- Marty -

Testing

OK, the above post added the attachment, but I posted, then edited and attached. With this one, I attached the pic, clicked on preview and then save and the attachment was "erased"...

Have you ever had a completely blank attachment like this?

Greg,

What you're describing should only affect those posting...not those only viewing posts.

But keep on testing...:thumb:
- Marty -

Doug,
The more info you can supply, the better chance we have of getting this solved.
Thanks...
- Marty -

OK,
It all started back in the fall of '64, born to a young farm girl at the age of 15.
The birth of a hellish blond head boy came to be in a small town in Illinois.,,,,,,

Oh, you meant with the computer, sorry.:D
I'll get more on that as I figure more out.

Have you had this problem all along, or is it something new...only after the attachment sizes were changed? (I don't think that would do anything, but still..) Is it a consistant problem on the same posts, or eratic?

Do you have a lot of extensions? Have you tried to disable them temporarily and see if you can view?

It bothers me that both browsers do it, but if we can get at lease FF to work right.... I'm on a Mac, and MS stopped support for IE/Mac at version 5.2:doh:

Have you had this problem all along, or is it something new...only after the attachment sizes were changed? (I don't think that would do anything, but still..) Is it a consistant problem on the same posts, or eratic?

Do you have a lot of extensions? Have you tried to disable them temporarily and see if you can view?

It bothers me that both browsers do it, but if we can get at lease FF to work right.... I'm on a Mac, and MS stopped support for IE/Mac at version 5.2:doh:

Greg,

FWIW, others reported this before the size change. I just confirmed that it's still a problem with them.

Extensions? What are you referring to?

And doing it in both browsers is also what gets me thinking it might be on our side...

- Marty -

Marty,

Extensions are small accessory programs you can add to FireFox to give it additional capabilities/features. I was thinking there might be one or more conflicting with something in our settings.

Last edited:
Hi

I can see the photos in my mini-tutorial(Firefox 2.0). They were uploaded to FW's server for the reason Marty mentioned. Since I've only got a couple of views and one of those was Doug's, it's hard to tell if I've made an error or if the problem is only at Doug's end.

I hate to beg for 'hits' but could somone else let me know if the photos are visible?

Obviously, wedges for wooden planes are not quite as hot as those shiny bronze beauties :( Oh well, I tried ...