Sometimes pics yes, sometimes no??

Hi

I can see the photos in my mini-tutorial(Firefox 2.0). They were uploaded to FW's server for the reason Marty mentioned. Since I've only got a couple of views and one of those was Doug's, it's hard to tell if I've made an error or if the problem is only at Doug's end.

I hate to beg for 'hits' but could somone else let me know if the photos are visible?

Obviously, wedges for wooden planes are not quite as hot as those shiny bronze beauties :( Oh well, I tried ...

Ian,

Your post and pictures worked fine. I see thumbnails in the post, and full sized pictures when I click on the thumbs.

And FWIW, I viewed your thread before you begged. I'm just not neander enough to appreciate your tutorial! :rolleyes:

- Marty -

Marty,

Extensions are small accessory programs you can add to FireFox to give it additional capabilities/features. I was thinking there might be one or more conflicting with something in our settings.

Greg,

Ahh, the evils of nomenclature. They're called Add-on's in IE...used to be called Helper Apps.

Gotcha!

But again, since the problem appears in both IE and Firefox, I doubt extensions/add-ons are involved.

Oh well, I'll keep plugging away trying to find the problem. Keep the information coming folks...
- Marty -

Doug,

This may be a long shot, but....are you using the Norton Internet Security program? (not Norton Anti-Virus, but the suite). It's known to cause some weird things sometimes.

Greg

Same issues

FWIW I am experiencing the EXACT same image issues as Doug. Sometime a long rectangular box, sometimes the image and sometimes nothing like in Gail's post.
One thing I'll add...If I am logged OUT I do not see the rectangular box but the image icon is displayed properly. Of coarse I can't view the pics as I'm not logged on....As soon as I log ON...the same icons now appear as long rectangular box with a short line denoting the location of the pic.

I just switched from Norton to eTrust EZ firewall by CA....Had the same image issue on FW with each security system...and not having this same issues on another V bulletin site.

The fact that the pic icon displaying properly seems to be a function of the Logged In or Logged Out status should be a clue...but I must admit I'm clueless as to why.:huh:

Greg,

No sign of Gail's pics are visible on her post...no icons or even a long rectangle box...nothing. Also noticed something else.

Using Bart Leetch's "kinda bitter sweet" thread in the General forum.

If I'm logged out, I see the pic icons properly displayed in his post.
If I'm logged in, I see that rectangular box.
If I'm not logged in and click on the pic icon, I get the standard "must be logged in to view" message. When I log in from that screen it auto puts me back to Bart's post and the icons are properly displayed. I can also click on them and view...BUT if I navigate away from his post, I am auto logged out and must log back in to continue viewing pics in other threads.

I to have the same problems as Doug and John are describing on my main PC which is running Norton.

If I use my laptop which is running ZoneAlarm I can view everything just fine, I think Greg might have stumbled on to something :dunno:

John,

Can you see the pics on my post just above you? Those are Gail's, just hosted on Photobucket, not the site she uses.

Kevin,

Do you know how to "allow" the site Gail's pics are posted on using some kind of "exceptions" command in Norton? I'm not sure how, as I don't run Norton, but I'm sure it can be done. Do you have enough Anti-XXX stuff on your main PC to turn Norton off for testing? Then check to see if you can see her pics on her thread.

Does this make sense?

John,

Kevin,

Do you know how to "allow" the site Gail's pics are posted on using some kind of "exceptions" command in Norton? I'm not sure how, as I don't run Norton, but I'm sure it can be done. Do you have enough Anti-XXX stuff on your main PC to turn Norton off for testing? Then check to see if you can see her pics on her thread.

Does this make sense?

Sorry Greg, I'm so dumb I don't even know what I have on my PC, I'm acuatlly running McAfee :doh:

Kevin....:doh: :rofl: :rofl: Been there....

Ok, have you updated it (and any other Anti-XX software) to the latest version(s), including program and definitions? Have you run it, and any others you are using, to see if you are "clean"?

Can you see the pics in my post above with no problems?

Greg

If I use my laptop which is running ZoneAlarm I can view everything just fine, I think Greg might have stumbled on to something :dunno:

I don't think thats the problem, as I am running ZA suite.

The only pictures I see in this particular thread are the ones Mr Spencer posted of his girls and the one I posted right below it. Everything else is either a long rectangular box or nothing at all.

Last edited:
Hmmm. I'm running IE6. Never a problem viewing pics
I gave up norton 1-2 years ago due to lots of problems, pics included.
I run the free version of AGV, or AVG, whatever it is

I see all the pics posted here

I started reading this thread because I am having the same problem as Doug. I see no pictures in most threads. I do see Frank Pellow's attachments. This problem exists on Firefox 2.0 or IE 7.0. If I move the cursor across the attachment box, I can usually find the link.

I am using Zone Alarm Pro.

Some of the responses here led me to turn off ZA. The attachment pictures appear in both browsers.

Since I am not willing to live w/o ZA, it is back on. I am hoping that someone can tell me what permission needs to be added in ZA.

Jim

One note. AVG is discontinuing it's free version.

I had no problem with using Photo Bucket using
See my test.

I am running Firefox on a Linux machine. No antivirus of course. About as basic as it gets so I do not think that it is a Family Woodworking site problem.

One note. AVG is discontinuing it's free version.

I had no problem with using Photo Bucket using
See my test.

I am running Firefox on a Linux machine. No antivirus of course. About as basic as it gets so I do not think that it is a Family Woodworking site problem.

Yes. Sometime in January if I remember

I started reading this thread because I am having the same problem as Doug. I see no pictures in most threads. I do see Frank Pellow's attachments. This problem exists on Firefox 2.0 or IE 7.0. If I move the cursor across the attachment box, I can usually find the link.

I am using Zone Alarm Pro.

Some of the responses here led me to turn off ZA. The attachment pictures appear in both browsers.

Since I am not willing to live w/o ZA, it is back on. I am hoping that someone can tell me what permission needs to be added in ZA.

Jim

Did the same thing as Jim,,, and all thumbnails were seen. However and again like Jim, I'm not going without ZA. So anyone have any ideas to what settings need changed in ZA?