How much do we charge?

Sittin here drinkin that afternoon cup right now. The LOML will be back from an out of town conference by this time tomorrow, so we'll be sharing our leisurely cups together. :thumb:

So, did the trunk that Jerry built have coffee stains on it? :rofl:

Your example of two similar or even identical pieces at a show drives the point home as to why folks doin this stuff as a hobby need to get what their stuff is worth. It is obvious in that situation that the fella trying to put bread on the table, or even just seriously supplementing his income, gets the rug ripped out from under him by the other fella doin it for fun and beer money. Less obvious is the fella makin something for a friend or acquaintance for little more than his direct cost. Chances are the buyer in that case was not gonna go looking at shows for a similar piece, nor was he gonna go knockin on some pros shop door to have the pro build one for him. But even those cases set price precedents, and that gets around.

Chances are the buyer in that case was not gonna go looking at shows for a similar piece, nor was he gonna go knockin on some pros shop door to have the pro build one for him. But even those cases set price precedents, and that gets around.

Well said, and THAT is dangerous because when you ask for a little more the tipycal answer is: But you made a similar thing to xxx for a lot less....

if one is secure enough in their own talent, they dont have to worry about competitive prices.

Surely that should read "if one is secure enough in their own talent and has an alternative way of making a living, they don't have to worry about competitive prices.

Bottom line, Supply and Demand. You to got have both.

Your expense, shop rate, your machines don't mean squat to the average consumer. You have to be in demand.

You got to have quality to get the demand and more than anything (I think) you have to have the personality to Sale your product and create the demand. Or find someone that can do that for you.

Many of the big names are bringing top dollar because of their name. Not that they don't do good work. But there are lots of garage craftsman that can do the the same thing, they just haven't gotten the name hence no demand.

Many of you have bragged on Wren, my kayak. But I don't see anyone lined up at my door wanting to buy one. :huh:

Many of you have bragged on Wren, my kayak. But I don't see anyone lined up at my door wanting to buy one.

I didn't see no "For Sale" sign on it either. Bet if you put it at a marina or something with a sign on it,you could sell it right quick. :thumb:

worth

Hi Larry, after reading all of the replies to this thread I had to go back to your original post and make sure of some things and as usual came away a little unsure of exactly where you intended this to go or your motives for asking... anyway... one of the last comments / questions in your post was, "what are our endeavors worth". Only you can answer that question and have the correct answer for you. This occurred to me as I was reading each post and could say that none was incorrect. I have a feeling if you knew you were building this chest for a great, great, great granddaughter it would be priceless because that would be an endeavor worthwhile.

pricing your creations

I'm just starting (again). I learned a few things, about cabinet making literally at my grandfathers knee. I also learned some things about sales. My eldest brother (RIP) a very fine cabinetmaker had one big fault and that was he never charged enough for his creations. Even after I sold a few things at twice the price he would have charged he would reduce the price. Consequently, people did not put the value on the items that they should have because he did not value his art as he should have.
Easy formula; Dble the cost of mat. Add a like amount to that and then add 10% if it's a commissioned piece.:thumb:
Mike

i totally missed this thread.......for me where i am geographically i charge by the seat of my pants. factors that i weigh are how busy i am, how cool the job is, my perception of the customer, what the job can do for me as far as future work......in todays economy a fellow is doing well to keep the doors open....when things turn around again my business model will be the same, sometimes ya` eat beans and sometimes ya` eat steak, the trick is to keep eating;)

i totally missed this thread.......for me where i am geographically i charge by the seat of my pants. factors that i weigh are how busy i am, how cool the job is, my perception of the customer, what the job can do for me as far as future work......in todays economy a fellow is doing well to keep the doors open....when things turn around again my business model will be the same, sometimes ya` eat beans and sometimes ya` eat steak, the trick is to keep eating;)

well tod you must be up in the ceiling sprayu thse boxed in beams you made:) i understand your thoughts thou.. it went for what i said but the next one wont.. when i had a small business i used to do like you mentioned,, in reguards to the customer.. sometime it was less than others,,