Cherry Vessel

Mark Pruitt

This is the tallest piece I have turned to date. 11" tall, finished with DO and buffed.
DSC_0199edit.jpg

DSC_0200edit.jpg

Mark,

Very impressive. The warmth of the piece really caught my eye. I'd love to be able to make something as nice. Great job.

Looks good, and I know from doing something almost as deep, you spend a LOT of time cleaning out curlies from something that deep.

Beautiful wood! :thumb:

Very nice, Mark. As Lee said, the warmth of that Cherry is really appealing. You did an excellent job of presenting the piece, too with your photography. It really shows it off well.

I tried a shape like that a while back and it morphed into a large lidded snifter sitting on the bar after I broke out the opening. :eek:

My hat is off to you for doing such a great job on a challenging piece.

Mark, a really tall vessel, with a special shape which I like, your choice for cherry was a good choice for this vessel.
As I can see not any crack, so you were lucky, this stuff cracks so easely.
With what tool did you the hollowing job?
Very well done.
Ad :thumb:

Beautiful! I agree with others that the colors really make this vase stand out. Both the color of the wood and the photography as well. Well Done :thumb:

With what tool did you the hollowing job?
Ad, I purchased a Monster captive hollowing rig from Randy Privett a little over a year ago. I used it, along with a couple of Oneway bowl steadies.

As I can see not any crack, so you were lucky, this stuff cracks so easely.
I rough-turned this piece initially, sealed it and let it dry out. It did develop cracks, the remnants of which are visible in the second pic. While finish-turning the piece, I eliminated the bulk of those cracks and filled what was left of them with CA and coffee grounds.