Porter Cable 390 Sander

Anyone have any comments on the new Porter Cable 390 ROS? It hasn't started shipping yet. The one feature I really like is that it has an electronic brake on it - so I assume when you turn it off, you can set it down immediately without it walking all over the place.

I saw a review somewhere that said it will sell for about $129.

Anyone know of any other 5" random orbit sanders that have a brake on them?

Mike

Anyone have any comments on the new Porter Cable 390 ROS? It hasn't started shipping yet. The one feature I really like is that it has an electronic brake on it - so I assume when you turn it off, you can set it down immediately without it walking all over the place.

I saw a review somewhere that said it will sell for about $129.

Anyone know of any other 5" random orbit sanders that have a brake on them?

Mike
Hi Mike :wave:,
Haven't seen this feature anywhere as of yet. Sounds like a good feature but the one I have is a PC 5" 8 hole, hook and loop for about $65.00. Must be some other up grades from the one I use.:dunno:
Shaz :)

That one looks interesting. It's the first sander I've seen in a while with any substantial improvements. (I watched the video on the P-C site.) It's a bit pricey compared to the little $30 - $40 Ryobi that I've been unable to kill for the last three years, but for someone who does a lot of sanding, I suspect it'd be a good investment.

It sure does look like they have raised the bar on that one, certainly could see someone who does a lot of sanding put up the extra bucks, much like the Festool sanders, or a good Pneumatic sander set up.
The look of this new sander certainly reminds me of their newer low profile belt sander, which is getting good marks.

Cheers!

The sander uses a "brushless" motor. If you'd like to know how a brushless motor works, I found this article on Wikipedia.

It's interesting to me how semiconductors are being applied to improve electric motors. VFDs are another example of semiconductors being used to improve electric motors.

Stu's Nova lathe gets its variable speed from semiconductors.

Mike