D handle captive hollowing rigs?

M Toupin

I'm planning to build a D handle captive hollowing rig and I need a bit of help. I'm going to use 3/4" round stock because I've got about 10' of it on hand. I'm planning on making the handle with a coupling on the end to attach various length boring bars to the business end. I think that's the most traditional method and gives the most flexibility unless someone has a better idea. I'm open to suggestions at this point.

I'm kinda stumped at this point on the dimensions. What's the average dimensions for these type handles? For those who own one, if you could, would you change the dimensions of yours or do you have any other ideas? BTW, This is for a full size lathe with a 12" swing.

handle.jpg

Thanks

Mike

Stu,
your lathe is roughly the size of mine. Would you mind giving me the dimensions of your D handle? I understand each lathe is different, but I'm trying to get a rough idea were to start. How is your setup working? Do you like the size or would you change something?

Thanks

Mike

Mike, mine is roughly these dimensions:

A - 19"
B - 6"
C - 21"

Attached to the end of "C" are boring bars that range from about 12" to 16" long.

I used this rig on a Craftsman lathe with a 15" swing, but it would easily work on pretty much any lathe, I'd think. The only thing that would need to change for different swing capacities would be the post that holds the rear captive rest in place. As long as it can hold the D handle parallel to the bed at the centerline of the spindle, you should be good to go.

I hope this helps -

Try looking at the info on woodturningonline. There is a section in the articles on building your own captured rig. I built one from the plans there and it worked well. I have since built a articulated hollowing rig and like it much better. See my post My Version of Capt Eddies Steel Snake. :wave: