Cedar Bowls

Cody Colston

Just a couple of simple bowls with simple shapes but they finished out great. I used a homebrew of 3 parts turpentine, 2 parts BLO and 1 part spar urethane. Put on three or four coats and Beall buffed with all three wheels.

They are 10 1/2" x 3" and 9 1/2" x 3". In the larger bowl, although it doesn't show up well in the pics there's a bit of curly figure. If you look close you can see it on the inside back in the second pic. I've never seen curl in Cedar before. Wish I could find a bunch of it.

Attachments

• Cedar Bowls 001.jpg
    Cedar Bowls 001.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 23
  • Cedar Bowls 002.jpg
    Cedar Bowls 002.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 29
  • Cedar Bowls 003.jpg
    Cedar Bowls 003.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 19
  • Cedar Bowls 004.jpg
    Cedar Bowls 004.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 22
Wow! Beautiful bowls Cody! Love the forms! Must have smelled great in the shop when turning these! You're really kicking out some nice stuff! Looking forward to seeing some more real soon!

Cody, just like Steve said, a couple of beauty's. Surprising wood, never had cedar for my turnings, only I got once the smell in my nose by visiting a woodturning friend, wish I had some.
Are these bowls usable for the household, by seeing the finishing you used.
For that I use most of the time Glitsa, scratch and scuff resistance stuff.
So it's washable, not the most perfect finish, but good for household turnings.
Ad :thumb:

Very nice, Cody. :thumb: Pretty bowls and pretty wood. I turned a piece of cedar crotch wood a while back that had some curl to it. Makes a nice wood even nicer IMHO.

Like all have said, really nice bowls. I have not tried to turn any cedar yet. Looks like I am going to have to find some soon. So much to do and so little time.

Very nice. Turned cedar can be beautiful. But turning it is a love/hate experience for many because it is brittle and can fly apart at unexpected times. Did you have any problems like that? I have to wear a mask when working cedar as it is an irritant for me.

Thanks for the kind comments, y'all.

Ad, neither the finish nor the wood itself will take a lot of abuse. The top coat for that home brew finish is only a thin coating of Carnauba wax from the final Beall buffing wheel.

Frank, I agree about that love/hate thing with Cedar. I had a large end-grain turning literally explode a while back. It took me two days to find one of the pieces which was all the way across the shop on top of a cabinet. :eek:

Besides that, Cedar will crack if you look at it wrong but, it turns easily and is beautiful wood. The smell is great, too, but only to a point. After working with it all day, it can get a bit overpowering.