Atlas metal lathe -- approximately 1930

Hi Everyone,

I have my father's Atlas metal lathe, some chucks, steady rests, face plates, boring tools, knurling tool, etc. etc.

This lathe might be 1929. However, more likely around 1932...Purchased new. It is in fair condition. It was in very good condition until I stored it for 30 years. The chucks, steady rest, Morris taper adapters, etc. are in good to very good condition.

My father was one of those people who could make anything. Machinery seemed to love him. He made the engines for my gasoline powered model airplanes. He started by carving wood to make the molds to cast the metal for him to machine. As I remember the piston rings were the only thing he purchased.

What do I do with the lathe and other equipment? I don't think I will ever use it. Is it worth enough that I should pursue the exact dates and make up a specific list? Or should I just forget it and use what I can in my woodworking?

I would appreciate advice, information, etc.

Thanks in advance and Enjoy,

Jim

Last edited:
Jim,
I guess part of your decision would be based on sentimental attachment to the lathe. If there really isn't an emotional bond, and you don't see a need for it, I would sell it - either as a whole, or if you have the time and energy, part it out. Then get what you really want/need for WW. I have found a metal lathe a great asset to my shop, and wouldn't want to be without one now - but that's just me.:)
Depending on the size/model, condition, and how well tooled it is, it could fetch a tidy sum. Atlas is a popular brand for home machinists and is still very sought after. Sears sold Atlas lathes under the Craftsman name as well. Do a search on ebay and you'll get a lot of hits for both complete set-ups and parts.

There is info on the different models here - maybe more info than you'll need:D:
http://www.lathes.co.uk/ (scroll down - on the left alphabetically)

And there is at least one Yahoo group dedicated to Atlas/Craftsman lathes as well:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/atlas_craftsman/?v=1&t=search&ch=web&pub=groups&sec=group&slk=1

Sounds like your Dad was quite handy (understatement here). I only wish for talent and capabilities like you describe.

Good luck with whatever avenue you pursue.
Just a thought or two,
Wes

jim, here`s mine.....a bit newer than yours but functional and handy! i use it to fix all the stuff i break:eek:.........shaper cutter adaptors are cake, bushings for the 56`s swaybars outta nylon...cake! just plain handy to have.

MVC-711S.JPG

jim - don't sell that lathe-a little metal lathe like that is a jewel and will always
make it's own niche in a woodshop-if you get hard up for cash-sell a kidney-keep the lathe. if you find you can't part with a kidney and must sell the lathe-call me.

alex

Tod,

I have kept the Atlas lathe for over 30 years thinking I would use it for something. I have used it once or twice. The fact that it is sitting on casters on the floor has nothing to do with the slight use ("that's a joke son"). Quotes are from an old radio show...way back before the first home TVs, before FM, etc.

Anyway, the machine was in superb condition before it was stored for such a long period of time. The belts rotted, it is caked with dust, and since I started into the WW scene it is just plain in my way. I still have it because I thought I might want to turn custom knobs, spindles, or whatever in wood (my father is probably turning over in the bottom of the ocean right now because, "Son, you never turn wood on a metal lathe."

Some of the chucks etc. are no longer in prime condition...very useable but no longer shining brightly.

Anyway, bottom line, it is in my way, yet I hate to sell it. My dad spent VERY many hours working with that lathe.

Enjoy,

Jim

Edward,

I am assuming you will read the post I just made to Tod's post.

I am torn. I don't want to sell the lathe because my dad made so many things with it. I don't really need the money though I can always buy a new WW toy. Unless my shop gets much more organized the thing is a PIA. It is always in my way.

How do I find out what kind of money I can get for it? If I really do decide I want to turn a knob or two I can buy a small wood lathe later.

Yes, I do want to keep my kidney. However, it is too late to keep my brain.

Enjoy,

Jim

Wes,

You will notice from my last couple posts that I have not, as yet, searched for a price to ask for the lathe. If I was desperate for money it would already be done of course.

I always thought of old age as a time when a person laid back, flew kites, played shuffle-board, and chewed the fat with the other old guys. Instead, I am living a faster pace than I ever did before. There just are not enough hours in a day and certainly not enough days in a week.

Thanks for the response.

Enjoy,

Jim

How full is Glenn's shop?
whistling.gif

Hi,

Actually Glenn's shop would be quite spacious if he didn't keep buying big toys such as 20" band saws, 8 inch --- long bed jointers, big drill press with large WW table, etc.

Ah it must be nice to be young and not have responsibilities (ta-dah). And here I am an ancient octagenerian, frail, brains leaked out, etc. (now is the time for sympathy). I need to find some way to make that kid take us in and maintain us in the style to which we wish to be come accustom.

No, that won't work. What would I do with my WW toys?

Enjoy,

Jim