lacquer and varnish finishing help?

I have several pieces of pine furniture that I have stained (oil base stain), then applied two or three coats of lacquer or varnish. (used lacquer on some and varnish on some). My problem after about a week they lose their luster and the varnish and lacquer soak into the wood. Is it too late to apply some kind of sealer or do I just have to keep applying finish until it does'nt soak in?

Can't say for furniture, but some of the soft woods I've turned seemed to soak up more than two or three coats of finish before they started building up much of a gloss. I suspect more coats will get you the results you're looking for. How are you applying the varnish or lacquer?

Gerald, I gave last year a table top in my living room a new treatment.
After cleaning the table top I put on a couple of layers stain, with a slight sanding between each layer. After that, three layers Glitsa, also available in the USA. Glitsa is based of urethane dispertion, you can buy it in egg gloss, or high gloss, it's also scratch resistant. Here we use Glitsa for protecting furnature, also for floors.
Hope this is a little help for you.

Ad :wave:

Vaughn, applied the finish with a spray gun. Also have rubbed in Pledge furniture polish on the finish (it soaked in too). I think I'll brush on another coat. (small pieces of furniture, only have the top, two sides and the front), don't want to remove the hardware to spray again. Maybe the varnished ones won't like the furniture polish.
Ad de Crom, I'm in mexico, maybe I can find an equivilant of that Glitsa don't know exactly what that is. The looks of the finish is great with all that soaking in really enhanced the grain, so the stain is no problem. I can even see spray stokes where some has built up a little. I suppect more coats would be the answer.