Wanted!! Osage Orange wood.

Hi there .

Has any of you some scraps of at least minimum size 15" x 3" x 3" that would be willing to get rid off and by sending them to me?
I want to make a couple of planes out of that wood.

I'll pay for the postage.

Send me a PM if you are willing to do me this favour.

Thanks in advance.

Toni,
I don't have any pieces that size, but i have a good source. On the north side of my city, there is an old industrial shed rented by a pair of brothers. They own a company that makes shipping crates and pallets. They have an agreement with the local utility companies, parks departments, and various tree removal companies that allows them to retrieve the logs of fallen or removed trees for free (normally, it costs money to remove the logs). Most of the wood they use for their pallets and crates. When they happen upon logs that are high quality, they have it sawn, and put it in their solar kiln to dry it. Then, they sell it (quite cheap compared to the local retailers). They're only open on saturday mornings, but it's always worth the trip. Every time i've been there, they have had a good supply of osage orange.
It's a hard, brittle wood with fantastic color, beautiful grain, and wonderful feel. I've got a couple of turning blanks that i bought to make replacement knobs and totes for a couple of iron plane rebuilds i've got waiting in the wings.
I can probably get over there in the next week or two - i don't know what your time frame is.
Paul Hubbman

Thanks a lot Paul.

But Frank has already offered me some, and I think that for the time being I'll be allright.

However, please let me keep your offer as a rain check for the future, if you don't mind.:thumb:

Many thanks again.

Toni
The pieces my friend sawed up for me today may not have come out large enough for your use. This one is about 3 1/2"X4 1/2"X17" but has a small flaw at the bottom front in the photo and still some bark at the back. The other half of the log this came from will be about the same size. If these won't work, I'll have to take some more to him another day to get cut up. If these will work, I'll ship next week. Be advised, they are HEAVY! :eek:
Let me know.

Attachments

• OO.jpg
    OO.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 25