Chamfer using Router Table or Table Saw

Sean Wright

Before I do it, I thought I would throw this out for some feedback.

I am in the process of making 3 raised panel doors for a cabinet. I am planning on putting a 45 deg. chamfer on the outer edges of the doors.

Would it make a difference if I used the table saw or router table to put this chamfer on?

I don't think it would, but I know there are alot more people out there with alot more experience than me.

Thanks !

Don't know about the experience part. But I avoid using the table saw whenever possible. Call it a coward thing. I would use the router. Even if it weren't for the fear factor, I don't have a table big enough to properly run a door through my TS blade. Router all the way.

I've not done a lot of chamfers, but I've had better success using my table saw. For me, there's less chance of burning the wood, and with the right blade, my TS can cut very smoothly, so little or no sanding would be necessary.

sean, they both have their advantages. I would probably go straight to the router because my table saw is going to leave saw marks. maybe if you have a really expensive blade and it just got sharpened it wouldn't, but that usually isn't the case for me. To avoid burning it as vaughn mentioned, make the bulk of the cut first, then do a final pass taking off just a little.

just my thoughts. good luck
Chris

Sean,

What's easier to set up for exactly the right cut? My vote would be router table, since its easy and repeatable and you're not taking off much wood...

Of course, it depends on what you have. Nice big flat router table? My biggest worry would be keeping the piece dead flat... ;)

Thanks,

Bill

I do a lot of chamfers. My favorite way is a Colt and Pat Warner's offset base. The small footprint really follows the edge. If your material or your table/fence aren't perfect, the large surface will reference poorly off the material. As Bill said "Nice big flat router table? My biggest worry would be keeping the piece dead flat..." The small footprint on a router follows better for me.

Colt-Warner.jpg.jpg

Last edited:
I've got a large diameter 45° Infinity chamfer that leaves fewer machine marks than the TS and does a terrific job, but otherwise I'd pick the TS over a small chamfer bit just to ensure consistency

Thanks for the advise everyone!

I think I am going to be going the table saw route. My blade is fairly sharp(LU83R 50 tooth), the pine is pretty soft, and I am concerned about tear-out from the router bit. Also in the process of making the chamfer, I will be cutting both with-the-grain and across-the-grain (on the ends of the rails). I think that the saw blade would probably handle this type of cut a little better.