Barnwood outdoor dining table

Joe Mioux

Here is a project that I finished a few weeks ago, but just delivered last Sunday to a friend of mine.

He has a "vacation" house that used to be his great grandparents farm house. A few years ago, the old barn fell down. Mark, my friend, wanted an outdoor dining table made. so.....

After pulling out lots and lots of old nails, some rusted off an inch or so deep inside the wood, I dimensioned the wood and built this table. All I had was a couple pictures that Mark's wife gave me.

so here is the beginning of the end of the barn and a new-old outdoor picnic table.

Attachments

• meyer's_barn.jpg
    meyer's_barn.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 58
  • table in driveway top off.JPG
    table in driveway top off.JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 76
  • diagonal view of table at meyers house.JPG
    diagonal view of table at meyers house.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 82
  • table_on_driveway_top__on.jpg
    table_on_driveway_top__on.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 58
  • Joe's Pictures - barnwood in garage for Mark's table-1.21.07 004.JPG
    Joe's Pictures - barnwood in garage for Mark's table-1.21.07 004.JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 64
I agree with Rennie. Most people wouldn't look at that barn and imagine that table could come out of it. Nice job, Joe. :thumb:

Great job on the table! My uncle had a bunch of wood from my grandparents barn. Each of us got some picture frames made from it filled with photos of our family. I'm sure the table will be cherished as much as our photo frames.

Great table!.

Why didn't keep you some more wood and made the matching benches?? I'm sure there was enough left!.:D

There are more beams and other wood that he and I kept. If you take a close look at the table edge and legs, you will see lots of nail holes. I learned to really dislike old rusty nail pulling from the white oak.

Also, the owner of the table didn't want a bench. He thinks his dad, mom, aunts and uncles would have problems with a bench. His wife is ebaying more of those blue chairs.

If in the future he wants a couple benches, I will build them for him, as long as he helps with the nail extraction. ;)

Joe

If in the future he wants a couple benches, I will build them for him, as long as he helps with the nail extraction. ;)

Joe

I haven't seen the boards in detail but what about sawing between the nails? Would that leave you with big enough pieces to build stools?:)

Pulling out nails to salvage wood is tiresome, specially if they are rusty and you always fear of leaving one behind that will ruin your planer blades:(

There are more beams and other wood that he and I kept. If you take a close look at the table edge and legs, you will see lots of nail holes. I learned to really dislike old rusty nail pulling from the white oak.

Also, the owner of the table didn't want a bench. He thinks his dad, mom, aunts and uncles would have problems with a bench. His wife is ebaying more of those blue chairs.

Joe

a reason I stopped trying to take apart old pallets made of oak.
Superman would have problems taking those lousy nails out.

Beautiful table Joe. :thumb:

Looks like that wood will serve a useful purpose for another hundred years. :clap:

DT