Greetings from SW MO

Mike Pessina

Hi everyone. As you can see from my post count, I'm new here. I see a lot of familiar people here from other boards and have read enough threads to know this is a good place to be.

I am a hobbyist/novice. I don't have nearly the time or funds to do everything I want to, but I dream big. I have been mostly woodturning for the last year or so, but I have dabbled in other areas as well.

I am a civil engineer and like projects you can hold/use/play with. I am not much for making hang it on the wall/put it on a shelf stuff even though I admire the talent of those who do. Therefore, I like wooden puzzles, pens, wooden gear clocks (I will make one eventually), bowls, boxes, and other usable things. It is more fun to build a jig that buy one. I think I am undiagnosed ADD (since it's not diagnosed, I don't have it, right?) but like accuracy and precision (and those of you who know, know there is a difference). It makes me an impatient perfectionist and my own worst critic.

I look forward to getting to know everyone here.

Welcome aboard, Mike. :wave: Always nice to add another turner to the crowd.

What kind of civil engineering do you do? My dad's a civil P.E. who specialized in materials testing and inspection (soil, concrete, and asphalt, mostly, with a bit of hydrology and foundation design thrown in for good measure), so I grew up exposed to a fair amount of that type of thing.

Hi Mike, very wellcome to this nice bunch of people.
Another woodturner, well that's great.
If possible, show us something, we are sooo curious :)
Ad :wave:

Where in SW Mo? My son lives in Nixa and we get up there occasionally. I live in Mountain Home, Arkansas. There are a number of woodworkers/turners in your area that are on this forum, or others.
Welcome to the family.

Welcome aboard, Mike. :wave: Always nice to add another turner to the crowd.

What kind of civil engineering do you do? My dad's a civil P.E. who specialized in materials testing and inspection (soil, concrete, and asphalt, mostly, with a bit of hydrology and foundation design thrown in for good measure), so I grew up exposed to a fair amount of that type of thing.

I specialize in municipal water and wastewater systems. I frequently use geotech folks like your dad on my projects. I don't want water towers falling over or concrete basins shooting out of the ground.

Where in SW Mo? My son lives in Nixa and we get up there occasionally. I live in Mountain Home, Arkansas. There are a number of woodworkers/turners in your area that are on this forum, or others.
Welcome to the family.

Frank (and Ed) - I am in Springfield so I am closer to Frank's s-i-l than Ed's dad.

Frank - Are you rifleman on IAP?

Stu - I found this board when I followed a link on WR to one of your posts here.

Ken who?

Ken Fitzgerald, you see, Ken got pushed into the vortex a while back, when he was gifted a lathe from a bunch of people at SMC. Now when we get someone new into the vortex, sort of celebrate by telling Ken "We got another one" :thumb:

All in fun :wave: