Laced-Edge Bowl

Cody Colston

When I posted that picture of the Sweetgum NE bowl ("One More" post) where I had burned lines into the rim, Pete remarked that it looked like stitching. That's what I thought, too after I did it and it gave me an idea.

I used to do leathercraft way back when and I thought "why not put lacing on a bowl edge just like on a wallet?"

So, off to town I went looking for the lacing, etc. I found some at Hobby Lobby although it was more like latigo than the top-grain lacing I wanted. But, I got it anyway and the attached pics are of a couple of bowls I've done.

The first is Sweetgum, 10 1/4" x 5 1/4" and the second is Post Oak, 9 3/4" x 4". Both were finished with my homebrew and buffed prior to lacing.

I'd really like some honest feedback here. Everyone who has seen the bowls think they are really neat and I intend to order some more lacing from Tandy...some nice top grain in black and brown plus some rawhide.

But, if y'all think they are gaudy or too gimmicky then I may rein in my enthusiasm a bit.

They are fun to do and something different which is good. Looking forward to your comments.

Attachments

• Laced Bowl 001.jpg
    Laced Bowl 001.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 48
  • Laced Bowl 002.jpg
    Laced Bowl 002.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 37
  • Laced Bowl 003.jpg
    Laced Bowl 003.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 32
  • Laced Bowl 004.jpg
    Laced Bowl 004.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Cody, this is something new for me, studied the pictures for a while, and I find it very attractive, a very nice rim decoration.
Can I find some information about this technic on the internet ? I'm interested.
Great work Cody.
Ad :thumb:

Cody, that lacing brings back memories of doing leatherwork with my grandmother back when I was a kid. (I'd have to completely re-learn how to do that stitch, though.)

Personally, the "look" of the lacing doesn't do a lot for me, and wouldn't really work in our house (decorated in late 20th Century hand-me-down), but there are other people for whom it'd be perfect. I'm betting someone into horses or tooled leatherwork would love to have that bowl.

I think you might be onto a hot ticket with the idea. :thumb:

Cody, this is something new for me, studied the pictures for a while, and I find it very attractive, a very nice rim decoration.
Can I find some information about this technic on the internet ? I'm interested.
Great work Cody.
Ad :thumb:

Ad, I sent you an e-mail with the method I used in a MS Word document.

Toni, there were 102 holes in the large bowl. :D

Vaughn, "early twentieth century hand-me-down?" :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Thanks for the comments, y'all.

Cody, I like it! Very unique. When you get around to doing craft shows, I think you should definitely put out a couple of those. I think they would sell well, at least around here.

Hi Cody,

Just spotted this. I've laced up splits before but never seen this sort of thing. We call it blanket stitch over here, it's used to seal the edges of cloth. I use leather bootlaces but suspect that might be too thick for what you are doing.

Like Vaughan, it's something I wouldn't buy personaly but I do like it...don't know if I'd have the patience to do all those holes though:D

Pete