Box joint jig in 45 mins

Thanks for the tutorial, Bartee. I like your method of using shims and the fence to locate the first slot.

The last few box joints I've made, I used the Incra fence on my TS to register each cut (instead of the pin), and the Freud box joint set is as accurate as the Incra, so they work well together. (I was using an auxiliary "step" block on the fence to set the piece...not riding the fence through the cut.)

Bartee, I've printed it out, and will try it tonight! :thumb:

You have great timing, I need two smaller presentation boxes that this will work perfect on.

I did build a finger joint jig, but, it is for thicker wood that I want to use for the presentation boxes, and I made the mistake on my finger joint jig, of NOT making the finger removable :doh:

I think the biggest challenge I face with this, will be setting up the dado stack to match the thickness of the wood, but that is just a fiddly thing to do.

Thanks!

my know how and talent is laughed at, and if I can do it, set up near perfect fingerjoints in 15 minutes, Im sure yours will be picture perfect.
I made some drawers, and some little jewerly boxes with scraps.
Heres one still on my desk waiting to go. 1/2 joints, setting the blades for 1/4, 1/2 or 3/4 joints for big boxes seem fairly easy, and thats from a non woodworker like myself.(I dont even know what kind of wood I used for the covers. )
believe me again, if I can do it, anyone can do and Im sure much better.

Attachments

• wood stuff 002 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 002 (Medium).jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 35
  • wood stuff (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff (Medium).jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Bartee,

Good tutorial on how you did the box joints. Your notations added alot to the pictures. :thumb:

Seeing some box joints both finished and unfinished in this post, made me think. Has any one ever done box joints and then hit the glued up corner with a round over bit on the router table? Something small maybe smaller than a 1/2in round over.... I wonder what that would look like finished......:huh:

...Has any one ever done box joints and then hit the glued up corner with a round over bit on the router table? Something small maybe smaller than a 1/2in round over.... I wonder what that would look like finished......:huh:
It looks nice. This isn't exactly what you were describing...it's not only rounded over, but cove cut on the tablesaw, too. (Sorry for the poor pics.)

OrientalBox1-600.jpg

OrientalBox4-600.jpg

Well,I tried it and failed, but the problem is my table saw is just not very accurate, the system that Bartee gives worked great!

I'm going to try dialing my saw in a bit more, and see if I can't get it done. :rolleyes:

I am just starting to get experience with this, but I have NOT even thought about cutting 2 pieces ( both sides ). at once. So, Thats a revelation...

And now that I think that through, Once you got the correct 1st cut you could stack up all 4 sides together. It's the 1st cut that sets up the rest of them.

I have identified some wood in my scraps that will work very well... so I will be making some "test" boxes....

...bartee...

Last edited:
Hi All,

I am just now reading again a book from the local library, Woodworking Techniques from Taunton Press, ISBN 1-56158-354-6.

In it, in one of the articles starting on page 44 (I suspect these are all previously published articles from their magazine Fine Woodworking, there is a story by Jack Danilchak titled Finger-Joining Small Boxes. The first picture shows him on a small model maker's table saw (tiny) with all four sides of the box clamped together. He goes on to say the finger joints he creates are the width of the saw blade kerf!

By the way, I spent a little time this morning trying to locate an antiques model maker's saw like his. If anyone has any ideas of where I might find something similar I would appreciate hearing about it.

Hi All,

I am just now reading again a book from the local library, Woodworking Techniques from Taunton Press, ISBN 1-56158-354-6.

In it, in one of the articles starting on page 44 (I suspect these are all previously published articles from their magazine Fine Woodworking, there is a story by Jack Danilchak titled Finger-Joining Small Boxes. The first picture shows him on a small model maker's table saw (tiny) with all four sides of the box clamped together. He goes on to say the finger joints he creates are the width of the saw blade kerf!

By the way, I spent a little time this morning trying to locate an antiques model maker's saw like his. If anyone has any ideas of where I might find something similar I would appreciate hearing about it.
I've cut some 1/8" kerf joints and that will make a person come up with all sorts of ideas of how to stack and clamp for multiple cuts.