What bandsaw blade?

Well, it looks like I've ruined the blade on my Jet 14" bandsaw. I was cutting the front off the handle of a chisel and hit the thick copper ferrule:doh: .

What type of blade is recommended for cutting bowl blanks to round? How many tpi, how wide?

Thanks,

George

I called Suffolk Machinery and bought whatever they recommended for cutting green bowl blanks on a 14" bandsaw. It's a 1/2" 3tpi with alternate set teeth, and it chews through green wood like a champ. I bent the first one I bought doing something stupid shortly after first using it, but I liked enough of what I saw in the few minutes of use that I bought two more to replace the bent one.

I've been cutting blanks out of 8" to 10" thick eucalyptus, and I can cut a tight enough radius for my needs (6" diameter or so) with the 1/2" blade. A 3/8" blade would cut tighter a radius, if you're doing smaller stuff.

My only experience buying good quality BS blades (how's that for an oxymoron? :huh: ) were with Timberwolf blades purchased through Suffolk Machinery. They have a 443 promo code...buy 3 get one free.

I also hear good things about Lennox, Olsen Pro, and Woodslicer but have not used them on my saw.

george, my experience with hss blades is that they all seem to cut about the same for a given tooth count. personally i never use blades with more than 4 teeth per inch and for green wood less is better, so is a fairly agressive set. the more hook a blade has the easier it`ll cut when sharp but the quicker it`ll dull....blades are a disposable item so play around `till you find a configuration that suites your work......now the carbide units are a whole `nuther animal, they`re not disposable and really aren`t suitable for green wood or 14" saws so steer clear of them.....tod

Tod, I promptly forgot the brand of those bandsaw blades you showed me. What was it? I believe it began with an "E". Prices were good. My T'wolfs seem to go dull about a minute after I open the package.

for just cutting bowl blanks, no need to go expensive. With that in mind, you can have a quality blade at a descent price. Olson Blades, I don't have any online dealers in mind, I buy a handful every year at the annual wood show. Some thing like $12/ blade. 3/8" @ 3pti

for just cutting bowl blanks, no need to go expensive. With that in mind, you can have a quality blade at a descent price. Olson Blades, I don't have any online dealers in mind, I buy a handful every year at the annual wood show. Some thing like $12/ blade. 3/8" @ 3pti

I run mostly Olson's on my 14". Hartville Tools carries my odd size. 92.5"

For my 20", I use countryside saw and tool. Same bands I used to run on my woodmizer mill

BTW, while on this subject: Is there a way to guesstimate how long a bandsaw blade should last?
The Timberwolf people at Suffolk told me to expect the life of a blade to be about 200 lineal feet of cutting. That doesn't sound like much cutting to me. If I make 100 resaw 6" thick cuts on 24" stock, my blade is finished. And that isn't an uncommon afternoon project. :(