Ghost of Christmas past

Frank Fusco

While babysitting the grands, I noticed this pen. At first, I didn’t even recognize it as one I had made. But, on inspection, I figured out that I had given this to my daughter-in-law as a Christmas present seven years ago. It was one of my very early efforts at making pens.
I’m horrified at what I see.
It is a European in Buckeye Burl. So far, so good.
But, I finished with Myland’s and now the finish is completely worn off. I no longer use Myland’s for pens.
The end of the blank is not square with the nib. I know I milled before turning but, obviously, failed to inspect the finished product. I now mill both before and after turning.
The ultra-fat, wasp-waist lower barrel is just plain ugly and uncomfortable to hold. I must have thought I was being clever. It is a disaster.
The upper barrel is a trifle fat, I would slenderize today.
The clip retainer and clip are, obviously, missing. Pity, it was a Caduceus (medical) clip. My DIL is a doctor. I am now thinking that it might be wise to use CA or Loctite on those for permanent retention.
All in all, it is an amateur train wreck, I’m pretty ashamed of it. Upside is that current work is light years better and I am able to recognize my beginners errors.

Attachments

• old pen.jpg
    old pen.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 57
Hmmm...wonder what the daughter in law is getting for Christmas this year?;)

Proof that practice does bring improvement! :thumb:

Frank you are right on all point, your pens are miles and miles better now, but you know what, I'll bet that your DIL still LOVED it when you gave it to her :thumb:

While babysitting the grands, I noticed this pen. At first, I didn’t even recognize it as one I had made. But, on inspection, I figured out that I had given this to my daughter-in-law as a Christmas present seven years ago. It was one of my very early efforts at making pens.
I’m horrified at what I see....... I finished with Myland’s and now the finish is completely worn off.
The end of the blank is not square with the nib. I know I milled before turning but, obviously, failed to inspect the finished product.
The upper barrel is a trifle fat, I would slenderize today.
The clip retainer and clip are, obviously, missing. Pity, it was a Caduceus (medical) clip. My DIL is a doctor. I am now thinking that it might be wise to use CA or Loctite on those for permanent retention.
All in all, it is a.....................

You kind of struck a nerve with me Frank as I am still paralyzed by the name I was given to build for with Larry's swap that is going on. But, I think I have rationalized my fear away to the point I may start building next week as this weekend is opening of shotgun deer season so will be busy/in the woods. But I did want to point out, I would much rather see a pen I made have battle scars of everyday use rather than it put on a shelf gathering dust. Regardless of your thoughts, she loves it and used it.
Okay, there are some things you would do different, our tastes do change. Your last sentence, all in all it is a, I would say a much treasured gift that was used as intended and it does have a lifespan so she is ready for an upgrade. Because ten years from now you might think this year's pen won't be perfect forever, you will still turn her a pen, so GOOD JOB on that past pen, make her a new one.

Thanks, y'all. I have improved since then
I did make both son and dil pens recently.
These were a thank you for the trip to Hawaii earlier this year.
The wood is Koa and Curly Koa I bought while there.
Photo doesn't show the pen wood properly, I should have taken more care with the lighting.
There is a thank you in Hawaiian on the bottom.
These are Gentlemen models.

Attachments

• Hawaii pens.jpg
    Hawaii pens.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 26