Who is in the path of Irene

Rich Soby

With Irene heading for our east coast and a possible run right on up through New England.
Who is in her projected path?
What steps are you taking to deal with her and the mess she will/may leave if her current path holds true?

I have to trim some branches around the electrical service to the house, take down my shed and secure all the outdoor furniture etc.
Get extra charcoal for the grille and dig out the camping gear for if/when we lose power.

One thing is for sure, there is going to be a big influx of turning blanks available :rofl:

Last edited:
Dunno at this point. We live just north of Hartford, CT (Windsor - the first Capitol of CT). Hard to predict at this point. There are lots of "mountains" and valleys between us and the coast of Long Island Sound. Probably get lots of rain, which isn't a bad thing. Only time will tell.

We did feel the earthquake a bit yesterday 8/23. At first I thought it was this old man loosing his balance but when we heard of the reports from others, that was it.

Stay tuned, pictures at 11:00 pm.

With Emily heading for our east coast and a possible run right on up through New England.

"Emily"?? What about "Irene"??

masterlogo.jpg

movingplane1.gif

I assume you mean Irene?:type:

We were ready for a direct hit from a Cat 3 on Monday.....but the track keeps moving East. Looks like our friends in North and South Carolina are going to have a rough time of it starting Saturday. Heavy rain through the Northeast part of the country as well

cant take down my shed, and Im very nervous with a huge limb from a very old tree hanging over it and over my garage. Could be the one storm that takes it down, I hope not.
My neighbor in back asked me years ago and trimmed most of the limbs in her yard, then I had my gardener trim all the bad limbs over my yard.
He said that one was strong.

If the reports by friday afternoon call for a direct hit to nassau county, Im going to have to take down my 10x20 canopy, even though I have it tensioned down on 3 sides to the fence and garage, I dont want to ruin it.
Pain in the neck, but my son is coming friday afternoon to lay the door strip down with me so Ill have to decide by then.

I may just tie my house and anything else loose in my yard to the ipe furniture set I made, nothing moves that, it may the only thing still standing in 500 years from now.

Got some pretty big trees around the house that make me a bit nervous.

But the force of the hurricane usually gets weaker as it comes up around me. we'll see.

Got the generator gasses and started just in case though.

my wife has been home ill all week, and now I think Im getting it....not good, but I was cleaning up the yard today.
Everytime i came in for a breather, the tv sounding more and more like this is the one in a hundred years for NY that is going to take us out.
I have everything on wheels and carts ready to roll into the garage by friday night or saturday morning.

My wife asked me to check flashlights and batteries. I had brought home enough batteries when I closed my store to last until 2016, so Im ok there.
Its going to be a bad sunday to have a storm, since so many kids are heading back to schools this weekend, and the parents are all going to have to come home either early sat night or wait till next week.

the current track shows the track of the eye just slightly west of us.

I bought 15 gallon bottles of water today. we are out in the woods it and it takes a long time for the power co to get to us.

my wife has been home ill all week, and now I think Im getting it....not good, but I was cleaning up the yard today.
Everytime i came in for a breather, the tv sounding more and more like this is the one in a hundred years for NY that is going to take us out.
I have everything on wheels and carts ready to roll into the garage by friday night or saturday morning.

My wife asked me to check flashlights and batteries. I had brought home enough batteries when I closed my store to last until 2016, so Im ok there.
Its going to be a bad sunday to have a storm, since so many kids are heading back to schools this weekend, and the parents are all going to have to come home either early sat night or wait till next week.

It is supposed to go right over Long Island. All the best to you.

the current track shows the track of the eye just slightly west of us.

I bought 15 gallon bottles of water today. we are out in the woods it and it takes a long time for the power co to get to us.

Buying a generator and having the electric service set up for it was, for us, a major-major expense. But, the security of having it makes the investment very worthwhile. FWIW, ours is a 10,000 gas, total investment about $1,500.00. That includes the electrical work.
I have seven five gallon jerry cans of gasoline on hand. That investment was $7,000.00. :eek: :rolleyes:

Hunker down everyone, and get prepared. Hopefully it will veer off, but better to be prepared. We're pulling for you. :thumb:

It is supposed to go right over Long Island. All the best to you.

Im not the rugged outdoorsman type.

I have my therapy scheduled for monday, so electricity or not, Im hoping my nurse will show up and get it done.
If power is still out after that, Ill pack up and drive upstate and take a vacation till the power company gets its act together, and if its as bad as they say it could get, I have little faith in the power company.
(afterall, the water company told me it can take up to 8 weeks to send someone to check where my shutoff tap is, cant imagine a million Long Islanders without power, might take them a month)

Feel bad for my wife though, she works for school system and its her busiest week of the year, Ill call her each night.

Sorry to bust in on the jokes....
We currently have 2 DMAT teams deployed to the area. An additional 3 teams are on standby as well as a Mortuary team. A lot of my co-workers are sleeping in the hurricane zone ready to take care of those who couldn't/wouldn't leave. We will relieve them on or about 9/10.
Please...pray for these folks...we don't leave. If people need help from primary (going to your doctor) to critical care (being in ICU) we take care of people no matter what. If helicopters can't get us out...we stay. My bags are at the front door and uniform is pressed. I thank God everyday for the members of our teams. You guys should too...we are there after you should have left. In Haiti, CA-6 treated 625 people a day after a 38 second earthquake...imagine what we'll do after a hurricane lasting 3-6 days
If you are on the Eastern Seaboard north of SC...please get out. I hate treating someone I know. Take care of your family and go somewhere safe.
Frank...If your son is still attached to MO-1 tell him he and his team have friends at CA-6 and God bless them all. We are ready. :(

Last edited:
Jim, Im not downplaying the importance or severity of whats about to happen.
IF I was told to evacuate, Id be out.

I think the light joke making is just a form of mental defense since we are preparing ourselves for a miserable time.

I just got finished speaking to my wife a short time ago about all the hazards Ive seen in my store neighborhood.
People in brooklyn, queens, they use roofs and terraces as storage bins.
If we get hit with 90 mph winds, something NYers have never experienced, its going to be catostrophic, with all the man made missiles ready to be launched.
I had someone go up on my roof right before I sold the building to check some flashing, and he told me my roof was littered with 15 cans of empty tarring and tons of scrap wood and other debris that the next building tossed on to my roof when they did their reroofing.
I had to pay to have it cleaned up, and I can onlyl imagine how many thousands of small buildings in ny are piled high like that and have no clue.
WE havent had a tree shook in over a hundred years with those winds, so Im sure with all the fungus infested trees on Long Island, roads will be impassable.

Jim, Im not downplaying the importance or severity of whats about to happen.
IF I was told to evacuate, Id be out.

I think the light joke making is just a form of mental defense since we are preparing ourselves for a miserable time."

That's how we deal with everyday medical crap Allen...I withdrew care on 4 trauma patients last week...that's my job when asked...and we don't make jokes about it. People are going to die during this and I pray none of them are my friends. We will be there for those who need care.