Turquoise Dye

Does anybody have experience with using RIT dye (the kind you can buy in grocery stores) on wood? I understand that Royal Blue and Kelley Green make Turquoise dye, something I'm in need of. RIT dye would be a lot less money than the Transfast dyes etc.

Thanks, DKT

Rit dye will work, but the color fades as it's exposed to UV. The Transfast (and Transtint) dyes seem expensive, but they are very concentrated, so a little goes a long way.And I can attest to the Transfast turquoise dye...it rocks. ;)

VM 1002 08 - 800T.jpg

Beautiful work, can you tell us what wood you are using ?

DKT

Thanks. That piece is curly maple. I first dyed it black, then sanded it back to expose the majority of the wood, leaving only the porous parts of the wood black. I followed that up with the turquoise dye, and finished it with clear gloss spray can lacquer.

As an aside, I sold this piece a few weeks ago to the president of the turning club I belong to. His wife saw it at a show and had to have it. :) It was one of my favorites, but I was glad to see it go to someone who'd appreciate it.

Vaughn a little hi jack but i had to say this piece is beautiful. Must be kinda sad to part with a piece like that regardless of money. Nice work. But will say never figured you would use poly.:)

Sorry Dietricht for the detour

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk